Utah's 2011 Sportsman Permit Apps Available Nov. 1st

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Applications for next year's most prized Utah hunting permits — 2011 sportsman permits — will be available by Nov. 1.

Only Utah residents may apply for sportsman permits. One sportsman permit is offered for each of the following species: Desert bighorn ram, Rocky Mountain bighorn ram, buck deer, buck pronghorn, bull elk, bull moose, hunter's choice bison, hunter's choice Rocky Mountain goat, black bear, cougar and wild turkey.

If you draw a sportsman permit, the dates you can hunt vary. But in most cases, they're longer than the regular season dates. You can also hunt on almost any unit in Utah that's open to hunting the species you drew a permit for.

Highly prized

"Sportsman permits are highly prized," says Judi Tutorow, wildlife licensing coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources. "If you're one of the lucky hunters who draw one, you'll have plenty of days — and plenty of areas —to hunt."

You can apply for a sportsman permit starting Nov. 1 at www.wildlife.utah.gov. Applications must be submitted no later than 11 p.m. on Nov. 18.

Draw results will be posted by Dec. 9. If you draw a permit, you'll also receive a letter in the mail. "That's one letter you'll probably want to frame," Tutorow says.

For more information, see page 31 of the 2010 Utah Big Game Guidebook or call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office. You can also call the DWR's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.