South Dakota Bowhunter Education Now Available Online

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Bowhunter education in South Dakota just became more accessible.

A pilot program for online bowhunter education is being tested for 2007 in South Dakota. Students may take approximately 75 percent of the certified bowhunter education course online from the National Bowhunter Education Foundation. The other 25 percent of the class (approximately four hours) is a field day in the presence of certified bowhunter education instructors.

Potential students may access the course through the S.D. Game, Fish and Parks Department Web site at On the home page, put the cursor over “Outdoor Education” and then click on “Bowhunter Education Classes.” The course site as well as chapter reviews and practice tests are available to users at no charge.

When the student feels ready to complete the online portion of the course, the cost is $20 payable at the time the test is given. A student who passes the online test will be issued a field day qualifier certificate that must be presented at a field day qualifier event. In 2007, three field days for online participants will be held. More information on times and locations for these field days can be found on the GFP Web site. Pre-registration is required for all field day participants.

Personal attendance and certification at a field day is required before the Bowhunter Education certification is complete.

Successfully completing a bowhunter education course is required for all first-time bowhunters and all archery elk hunters. Visit the GFP Web site for more information about bowhunting rules and regulations.