Pennsylvania Reminds Hunters to Submit DMAP Cards

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

With the 2006-07 deer seasons coming to a close this month, Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director Carl Roe reminded hunters that they must complete and submit their Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) report cards either by mail or through the agency's website by Feb. 7.

Under DMAP, all hunters are required to submit a report card, even if the hunter did not take a deer. This is being done so the Game Commission can measure the effectiveness of the program.

If registering the report through the website, just click on the "DMAP" icon in the center of the homepage and follow the instructions. Hunters will need to provide: their application number, DMAP unit number, coupon number, and birth date; the date of the harvest; the Wildlife Management Unit, county and township of the harvest; and what type of sporting arm they used. DMAP permits only may be used to take antlerless deer, however, hunters still will need to identify whether the deer was male or female. Hunters also can report that they did not harvest a deer simply by checking a box at this website.

Roe noted that deer harvest numbers for the 2006-07 seasons won't be available until mid-March, as in the past. In addition to hunters still submitting harvest report cards, which must be sent out for data entry, the agency's Deer Management Section is compiling the data collected in the field by the deer aging teams.

While the late flintlock muzzleloader and archery seasons closed on Jan. 13, antlerless deer seasons in WMUs 5C and 5D run until Jan. 27.

For the 2005-06 deer seasons, 31,641 DMAP antlerless deer permits were issued to hunters, of which 7,644 hunters reported that they harvested a deer and 18,932 reported that they did not harvest a deer. However, 5,065 hunters did not submit any report card.

Created in 1895 as an independent state agency, the Game Commission is responsible for conserving and managing all wild birds and mammals in the Commonwealth, establishing hunting seasons and bag limits, enforcing hunting and trapping laws, and managing habitat on the 1.4 million acres of State Game Lands it has purchased over the years with hunting and furtaking license dollars to safeguard wildlife habitat. The agency also conducts numerous wildlife conservation programs for schools, civic organizations and sportsmen's clubs.

The Game Commission does not receive any general state taxpayer dollars for its annual operating budget. The agency is funded by license sales revenues; the state's share of the federal Pittman-Robertson program, which is an excise tax collected through the sale of sporting arms and ammunition; and monies from the sale of oil, gas, coal, timber and minerals derived from State Game Lands.