Oregon Offers Second Chance to Win Sports Pacs

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

A lucky 48 Oregon hunters won 2012 Sports Pacs and two non-residents won an annual 2012 Hunting License because they applied early for their 2011 fall big game controlled hunts.

ODFW and the vendor that manages its license sales system are giving away a total of 100 free 2012 Sports Pacs (for Oregon residents, a $164.75 value) or Non Resident Hunting Licenses (for non-residents, a $140.50 value) to encourage hunters to apply early. (A Sports Pac includes a Combination Angling/Hunting/Shellfish License, a Combined Angling Harvest Tag, a Validation for Upland Bird and Waterfowl hunting, plus a General or Controlled Deer, General or Controlled Elk, General Cougar, General or Controlled Bear and Spring Turkey Tag.)

Fifty more 2012 Sports Pacs or Non-Resident Hunting Licenses will be given away over two additional drawings. To be eligible, hunters must:

  • Apply for and be issued a controlled hunt application by March 15, 2011 for a chance to win one of 30 Sports Pac or Non-Resident Hunting Licenses.
  • Apply for and be issued a controlled hunt application by April 15, 2011 for a chance to win one of the remaining 20 Sports Pac or Non-Resident Hunting Licenses.

The next drawings will take place March 16 and April 18 and winners will be notified by mail. Hunters unsuccessful in early drawings are re-entered into future drawings. Only one entry per hunter is allowed, meaning hunters that apply for several controlled hunts are still only entered once.

Hunters can apply for controlled hunts online, at a license sales agent, at ODFW offices that sell licenses, or by mail or fax order using the application found here or on page 17 of the 2011 Oregon Big Game Regulations. Controlled hunt applications cost $8.

Mail order/fax applicants should allow 7-10 days for their applications to be processed and issued. Remember, to be eligible for the drawing, the controlled hunt application must be issued, not just received, by the drawing deadlines (March 15 and April 15). Controlled hunt applications can be processed and issued immediately online and at license sales agents or ODFW offices.

The deadline to apply for a controlled hunt is May 15 each year. Most applications are received during the last few days before the deadline and this has caused problems with ODFW's license sales system in the past.

To encourage hunters to apply early, ODFW began this special drawing last year. The vendor that manages the license sales system is purchasing the Sports Pac and Non-Resident Hunting Licenses for the winners.

ODFW and its license sale agents processed 16,675 controlled hunt applications as of Jan. 31, 2011 compared to 14,154 by Jan. 31, 2010 and 7,926 by Jan. 31, 2009.

Some of Oregon's big game hunts are limited entry, including almost all rifle hunting of deer and elk east of the Cascades and pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, and Rocky Mountain goat hunts. These hunts require a controlled hunt application.


numbnutz's picture

Not so lucky for me on the

Not so lucky for me on the first go around. It would be nice to win one, it would save me $164.75. maybe in the march drawing I'll win one.