Kansas Offers Commission Big Game Permits

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Applications are now available for conservation organizations interested in applying for Commission Big Game Permits. Information and applications are available online at the KDWP website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us. Applications must be submitted no later than Jan. 5, 2007.

Commission permits were authorized by the 2005 Kansas Legislature. Legislative provisions allow the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks to issue up to seven commission permits annually, including no more than one elk permit and one antelope permit, with the remainder designated Any Deer permits.

The transferable permits – for the 2007 hunting seasons – will be used by participating organization in auctions or raffles to help raise funds for conservation projects.

A total of 59 organizations applied for the seven permits available last year, the first year the permits were issued. Permits were drawn by the following organizations: Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Wichita Chapter (elk permit); Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Greater Kansas City Chapter (deer permit); Ducks Unlimited, Southcentral Kansas Chapter (deer permit); Kansas Friends of NRA, Greenwood Chapter (deer permit); Quail Forever, State Chapter (deer permit); Friends of NRA, Flint Hills Chapter (deer permit); and Friends of NRA, Nemaha Valley Chapter (deer permit).