Big Game Applications Deadline

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Hunters who want to participate in New Mexico's 2006-2007 public-land deer, elk, antelope, ibex, javelina and bighorn sheep seasons have until midnight April 8 to apply for licenses in the state drawing system.

The 2006 deer season will be the second in which hunters must enter a public drawing to be eligible to hunt on public lands. Deer hunters who do not apply or are unsuccessful in the drawing will be able to hunt only on private land – with a valid license and with permission of the landowner.

Applications submitted via the Department of Game and Fish Web site,, must be received by midnight, MDT, April 8. Applicants who use the Web site are encouraged not to wait until the last minute to apply due to possible complications brought on by a high volume of Web site users.

Hunters also can use paper applications, which may be obtained at any of more than 250 license vendors statewide and at Game Department offices in Santa Fe , Albuquerque , Raton, Las Cruces and Roswell. All paper applications must be either hand-delivered to the Santa Fe office by 5 p.m. Friday, April 7, or postmarked by midnight MDT Saturday, April 8.

Drawing results will be available in late June on the Department Web site, or in person at any Department office.

Mobility-impaired hunters are reminded that they have until 5 p.m. April 3 to apply for certification necessary to apply for special hunts for deer, elk and other game during the 2006 New Mexico hunting seasons. The deadline was extended from March 15 to accommodate mobility-impaired hunters who may have had difficulties with new Department of Game and Fish certification procedures. New applications and documentation for mobility-impaired certifications may be submitted in person or by regular mail at the Department's Santa Fe office, 1 Wildlife Way , Santa Fe , NM 87507; or fax to (505) 476-8116. The Department will work with all applicants to ensure that all necessary records and forms are obtained. Notarization of a doctor's signature no longer will be required. However, the form must contain the required doctor's statement, license number and signature. For more information, call the Department of Game and Fish Special Hunts Section at (505) 476-8087.

More information about big-game hunting in New Mexico can be found in the Big Game Rules and Information booklet, available at license vendors, Department offices, Web site, or by calling (505) 476-8000.