Apply for Antlerless Big Game Permits

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Applications will be available by May 23 to hunt cow elk, cow moose, doe deer and doe pronghorn antelope in Utah this fall.

To be entered in the 2006 Utah Antlerless Draw, mail-in applications must be received no later than 5 p.m. on June 19. Hunters applying through the Division of Wildlife Resources' Web site ( must submit their applications no later than 11 p.m. on June 19.

Draw results will be posted by July 27.

Those who applied in previous years should receive a preprinted 2006 application in the mail soon. Those who don't receive an application by May 23 may obtain one from the DWR's Web site, DWR offices and hunting and fishing license agents statewide.

Utah's 2006 Antlerless Addendum also will be available at the same locations.

A total of 4,999 cow elk; 1,080 doe deer; 587 doe pronghorn; and 63 cow moose permits, will be available through the public draw this year. Many of Utah's private Cooperative Wildlife Management Units also have public antlerless permits available. Hunters can apply for these public CWMU permits during the application period.

To ensure their application is entered in the draw, Judi Tutorow, wildlife licensing coordinator for the DWR, provides applicants with the following tips and reminders:

  • Double-check the hunt numbers you listed. Hunt numbers are highlighted in blue in the Antlerless Addendum. Many applicants end up with the wrong hunt, or no hunt, because they listed the wrong hunt number.
  • Send the correct fees. Check your math. You may miss out on your hunt if you don't send enough money.
  • Check your credit card number and expiration date. Your card must be valid through September 2006 to issue you a permit.
  • Up to four people may apply together for deer, elk and pronghorn permits. Group applications are not accepted for moose permits.
  • Group members are reminded not to combine checks and credit cards for payment. Also, all fees for all applicants in a group must be charged to one credit card.
  • Sign your application.
  • Before applying for a hunt that occurs on private property, make sure you'll be able to use the permit by obtaining written permission from the landowner to access the property. The DWR does not guarantee access and does not have the names of landowners who own land where hunts occur. An asterisk in the proclamation's hunt tables indicates hunts that occur mostly on private land.

Those with questions may call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office or the DWR's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.