Antlerless Big Game App Period Starts Early

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Applications to hunt antlerless elk, deer, moose and doe pronghorn in Utah this fall will be available by May 27, a week earlier than last year.

An additional change awaits hunters who drew a bull elk permit in this year's Big Game Draw. They can apply for a cow elk permit beginning May 27. In the past, limited entry bull elk hunters could not apply for a cow elk permit until later in the summer.

To be entered in the 2003 Utah Antlerless Draw, applications must be received no later than 5 p.m. on June 16. Draw results will be posted by July 31.

"Last year the application period was shortened to two weeks and we received fewer applications," said Judi Tutorow, wildlife licensing coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources. "We want to make sure that every hunter who wants to apply has a chance. We hope lengthening the application period back to three weeks will help."

Those who applied in previous years should receive a preprinted 2003 application in the mail soon. Those who don't receive an application by May 27 may obtain one from the Division of Wildlife Resources' Internet Web site (, DWR offices and hunting and fishing license agents statewide.

Utah's 2003 Antlerless Addendum will also be available from the same locations, beginning May 27.

Beginning May 27, hunters who have a major credit card can apply for a permit online at the DWR's Web site. Hunters who don't have a credit card can apply by mailing an application and their fees.

A total of 10,720 cow elk permits; 2,370 doe deer permits; 240 doe pronghorn permits; and 23 cow moose permits, will be available through the public draw this year. Many of Utah's private Cooperative Wildlife Management Units will also have public antlerless permits available. Hunters can apply for these public CWMU permits during the application period.

To assure their application is entered in the draw, Tutorow provides applicants with the following tips and reminders:

  • Double-check the hunt numbers you listed. Hunt numbers are highlighted in blue in the Antlerless Addendum. Many applicants end up with the wrong hunt, or no hunt, because they listed the wrong hunt number.
  • Send the correct fees. Check your math. You may miss out on your hunt if you don't send enough money.
  • Check your credit card number and expiration date. The card must be valid through September 2003 to issue a permit.
  • Up to four people may apply together for deer, elk and pronghorn permits. Group applications are not accepted for moose permits.
  • Group members are reminded not to combine checks and credit cards for payment. Also, all fees for all applicants in a group must be charged to one credit card.
  • Sign your application.
  • Before applying for a hunt that occurs on private property, make sure you'll be able to use the permit by obtaining written permission from the landowner to access the property. The DWR does not guarantee access and does not have the names of landowners where hunts occur. Hunts that occur mostly on private land are indicated by an asterisk in the proclamation's hunt tables.
  • Those with questions may call their nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office or the DWR's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.