2006-07 Hunting Licenses go on Sale

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Beginning June 15, Pennsylvania resident and nonresident hunting and furtaker licenses for the 2006-07 seasons will go on sale through "The Outdoor Shop" on the Game Commission website (www.pgc.state.pa.us), according to Carl G. Roe, agency executive director.  Licenses also will be available over-the-counter at all Game Commission region offices and the Harrisburg headquarters.

"The Game Commission has worked hard to implement new ways to better serve license buyers," Roe said.  "By allowing our customers to purchase their hunting and furtaker licenses over the Internet, from the comfort and convenience of their home or office, we are offering one more service to better meet their needs."

Roe noted that hunting and furtaker licenses also will be available from the nearly 850 issuing agents around the state beginning in mid-June.

In order to purchase a license, applicants must provide their Social Security Number.  This requirement was implemented by the U.S. Congress and state General Assembly in recent years to better enforce changes to federal and state welfare reform and child support requirements.  For more information, please visit the Game Commission's website (www.pgc.state.pa.us), click on "Licensing," then select the "Hunting License & SSN" item in the box in the right-hand side of the page.

The Game Commission has supported legislative efforts at both the state and federal levels to remove this requirement.  For more information, click on "Release #015-06" in the "Newsroom" section on the homepage (www.pgc.state.pa.us).

For the 2006-07 license year, all fees are the same as they have been since the 1999-2000 license year, including: $20 for adult hunting or furtaker licenses; $6 for junior hunting or furtaker licenses; and $13 for senior hunting or furtaker licenses.

Combination licenses, created by the General Assembly in 1998, are available to junior resident and nonresident (12 to 16 years) and senior resident (65 years and older) hunters and furtakers, and were designed to provide youngsters and seniors substantial hunting and trapping opportunities at considerable savings. Combination licenses provide general hunting, furtaker, archery and muzzleloader privileges.  Resident junior combination licenses sell for $9; nonresident junior combination licenses, $51; and resident senior lifetime combination licenses, $101.  Combination licenses do not include bear, antlerless deer or migratory bird license privileges, which must be purchased separately.

Senior lifetime hunting and furtaker licenses can be upgraded to a senior lifetime combination license for $51. To make the upgrade, an individual must visit one of the Game Commission's six regional offices or the Harrisburg headquarters, or "The Outdoor Shop" on the agency's website (www.pgc.state.pa.us). The process includes filling out a new license application, verifying that the applicant holds a valid lifetime license and payment of the fee. The upgrade can't be obtained through a regular issuing agent. Those wishing to receive the upgrade application through the mail should download the senior lifetime license application from the agency's website (click on "Licensing," then "License Applications" in the right-hand column and scroll down to "Resident Senior Lifetime License") or call the License Division at (717) 787-2084.

There is no combination license for resident and nonresident adult hunters, nor does the Game Commission sell a nonresident senior license.

The resident military personnel hunting license, which sells for $2, is only available from the Game Commission headquarters in Harrisburg or Region Offices or County Treasurers' Offices.  This license, now in its third year, offers active duty military Pennsylvanians all of the same hunting privileges of a general hunting license: one antlered deer during the two-week rifle deer season; one fall turkey; one spring gobbler; and all the small game a hunter is legally entitled to harvest. 

To qualify for this license, an individual must be a Pennsylvania resident on active and full-time duty in the United States Armed Forces assigned to a facility outside of the Commonwealth and on temporary leave within the state.  Proof of military status, official orders or leave papers, and place of residence must be shown to Game Commission or County Treasurer staff at the time of purchase.

Other resident license fees are: antlerless deer (Wildlife Management Unit specific), $6; archery, $16; muzzleloader, $11; bear, $16; migratory game bird, $3; senior lifetime hunting or furtaker licenses, $51; and resident landowner, $4.

Basic nonresident adult hunting licenses are $101; nonresident adult furtaker licenses are $81; and nonresident junior hunting or furtaker licenses are $41. 

Other nonresident license fees are: antlerless deer (WMU specific), $26; archery, $26; muzzleloader, $21; bear, $36; migratory game bird, $6; and seven-day small game, $31.

Roe noted that the long-time deadline for purchasing muzzleloader stamps was eliminated last year.  However, hunters are reminded that the sale of bear licenses will end prior to the opening of the two-week firearms deer season.  This change will prohibit the sale of bear licenses after opening hours of the regular firearms deer season on Nov. 27.

Also, for the second year, the agency will offer hunters the opportunity to purchase a special wild turkey license, which sells for $21 for residents and $41 for nonresidents.  As approved by the Board, hunters will be able to apply for one of these special wild turkey licenses to use for a second gobbler for the 2007 spring season.  Applications for the special license will be accepted from Jan. 1, 2007, through April 1, 2007, either through the mail or online.  An application to apply for a second spring gobbler license will appear on page 38 of the 2006-07 Digest, or via "The Outdoor Shop."

Interested hunters also may apply for the upcoming limited bobcat and elk seasons via "The Outdoor Shop."  Bobcat applications will be accepted starting June 30, but must be received no later than Aug. 15, or received through "The Outdoor Shop" no later than Sept. 5.  The public drawing for the bobcat permits will be held on Friday, Sept. 8. Elk license applications will be accepted through the U.S. Mail by the agency until Sept. 1, but applications submitted through "The Outdoor Shop" will be accepted until Sept. 15.  The public drawing to award elk licenses will be held on Saturday, Sept. 23.

Those who submitted applications the last three years for either the bobcat permit or elk license drawings and were not selected may benefit from the preference point systems.  Unsuccessful applicants who applied in the 2003-04, 2004-05 and 2005-06 license years will be entered four times if they apply this year.  Preference points are carried forward until an applicant is drawn, and there is no requirement that applications be made in consecutive years in order to retain preference points.  However, applicants must apply in order to use their preference points for a given license year.

Roe noted that completing applications for the bobcat permits or elk licenses on-line guarantees hunters that their application was received and that they will be included in the public drawings, and reduces concerns about lost mail or late arrivals.

"In addition to cutting the agency's administrative costs, those filing on-line reduce the chance of having their application declared ineligible because the filing system notifies individuals who attempt to submit an incomplete application," Roe said.

Resident hunters may begin applying for a WMU-specific antlerless license on Monday, Aug. 7.  Nonresident hunters may begin applying for a WMU-specific antlerless license on Monday, Aug. 21.  All hunters may apply for the first round of unsold antlerless licenses beginning Monday, Aug. 28; the second round of unsold antlerless licenses may be applied for beginning Sept. 11.  Over-the-counter sales can begin in Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) 2B, 5C and 5D on Sept. 18.  In all other WMUs, over-the-counter sales can begin on Nov. 6.

County treasurers are required to mail regular antlerless licenses and first-round unsold licenses to successful applicants no later than Monday, Sept. 18.  Second-round unsold licenses will be mailed no later than Oct. 1.

A copy of the 2006-07 Pennsylvania Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations, which is provided to each license buyer, has been posted on the agency's website (www.pgc.state.pa.us), and can be viewed by clicking on "2006-07 Digest" in the "Quick Clicks" box in the upper right-hand corner of the homepage.