A Perfect Morning

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

It was the morning of Dec 22, 2003, I got to my treestand location at 6:30 am and climbed up into it as quietly as possible. I strapped myself into my safety harness, then hoisted up my gear. Then continued to do all the stuff we do to set up. By the time I was set up it was just after 7:00 am. At about 7:10 am, I could see 4 deer, 2 does and 2 fawns slowly coming my way through the hardwoods on one of the trails which funneled into one huge trail 25 yards away from my tree. I waited for the lead doe which was about 20' ahead of the other three. Once she got to the main trail and into the shooting lane I put the crosshairs on her rib cage and let it go. I watched my arrow fly through my scope as it connected with a perfect double lung shot/pass-through as she was slightly quartering away from me at a very slow pace. She bolted on a hard run, went 30 yards and piled up within eye-sight. The other three took off as I reloaded only to return five minutes later to stand 15 yards away, looking around trying to figure out what had just happened. I had the second doe in my crosshairs. But I already had a doe down to take out of the woods and the fawns were kinda small, (late fawns) there was a little over a week left to the season. So i decided on letting her walk and held off on the shot... Besides, I wanted a buck now, any buck!

Ten minutes later, I could see a big bodied deer coming down the same trail the does and fawns had just come in on. I saw the rack and that was enough. I half shouldered my bow and got ready for the shot as he came closer, I didn't take my eye off him until he was in my lane. I brought the bow up to the same shooting lane as the doe I just harvested . I waited for him to cross the lane. He's there! The safety's off, I am ready for the shot. He suddenly stops in his tracks, sniffing the air curling his lip. At that moment, I let the Beman Thunderbolt tipped with a 100 grain Wasp Boss fly. As I nailed him with a perfect standing slightly quartering away shot, I heard the loud "CRACK" as I watched the bright fletching through my scope enter the rib cage. The buck kicked up both back legs as a bucking bronco would and took off on a hard run. I clearly heard him crash in the thickets not too far away but I couldn't see him . I gave it an hour and collected my thoughts. I climbed out of my treestand went to my arrows (both pass-throughs) and followed the bucks solid bloodtrail for 40 yards right to where he lay expired.

It wasn't until I got closer to the buck when I realized, I had just harvested the big 14 point buck I had been hunting for and seen on a couple of earlier season hunts. I also got busted once earlier in the season by this buck, as he came in from the opposite end of the trail I expected him to come in, as he usually did, or it was too dirty or never close enough for a good shot. This time he was close enough, and it was clear shooting!


Tndeerhunter's picture

fresh venison!

Great story! You certainly had a great morning there. Not many hunters can claim to have shot two deer with a crossbow on the same morning. I enjoyed your tale of the young deer coming back and milling around. I've seen this occur a couple of times on gun hunts as well. I normally chalk it up to the lead doe being the one harvested and the others being confused now that their "leader" is no longer there.

Congratulations on both a great story and that very fine buck!

ManOfTheFall's picture

Very nice buck!!! Good job on

Very nice buck!!! Good job on the double kill.

numbnutz's picture

yummy, looks good

yummy, looks good

groundhog's picture


looks like a freezer full!