A New Method of Deer Hunting

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

There are many methods of deer hunting that are considered normal, or standard: standing, still-hunting, stalking and driving.

But did you ever hear of the method called, “texting”?

Yes, it’s one of the newer methods that was bound to make the hunting scene, given all the advances in technology these days.

I have a friend who is convinced that if it were not for texting, he probably would not have harvested a deer this season.

Here is his story:

“It was the first time I had hunted from the tree stand blind that I had set up two months earlier on Oct 16 (my 48th birthday). My family had come along to help me set up blinds as their birthday gift to me this year.

From the outset it seemed as though things were not going to go well.

I got into my blind early enough on opening day, but made a number of errors to telegraph my location to the deer.

After climbing into the blind, I forgot where I had attached the rope that my rifle was hanging from so I had to shine my flash light around to find it.

Then I tried to screw a hanging bracket into the tree next to me, but I fumbled it and dropped it on the ground.

By the time I finally got settled I was sweating pretty good.

Then I noticed that someone else in the area was making a lot of noise. I decided that it must either be a farmer harvesting crops or else the road crews were out laying gravel. It was pretty loud down the road about a mile or so south of my stand location.

Just before shooting light a group of deer came in behind me making a lot of noise walking in the leaves.

While trying to put my glasses away (I don't shoot with them on) I accidentally clinked them on buttons of my wool bibs.

I don't know if the deer heard it or not, but they stopped and then moved off to the north, staying well back in the woods behind me.

I was certain I had blown that one.

None of our party saw even a single deer on opening day.

Day two seemed to begin the same way, but without all the mishaps.

Around 8:00 a.m. I was getting pretty uncomfortable – maybe ‘restless’ is a better word - and decided to text my son, Josh, about our lack of success so far.

I laid my rifle, a Remington 600 chambered in .284 Win. across my lap, placed my gloves on top of it, got out my phone and started texting.

I had sent one text message when I heard something walking behind me; it sounded very close.

Hurriedly putting my phone away, I stashed the gloves under my rifle.

Now the deer – a nice buck - was right beside my stand about 6 yards away walking at a pretty decent clip.

His antlers seemed huge. I guessed the tines to be at least 6-8 inches long.

By the time I had my rifle up and on him he had walked another 15 yards.

He moved though the first of two shooting lanes before I was ready to do anything.

As he entered the second shooting lane I discovered that there were some small pine branches in my field of view – no shot there.

I kept the cross hairs on his chest cavity as he quartered away from me. The sight picture looked pretty good, and in three more steps he would be gone.

I took the shot.

He immediately went down and then hopped back up and ran into the woods, continuing in the same direction he had been going.

While waiting for things to settle down (especially me), I texted a few people saying I had just shot a big buck.

After talking with my brother on the radio we decided to wait half an hour before meeting to look for first blood.

When he came over I was waiting for him at the base of my stand. We found first blood, but I wasn't convinced about how good the hit was; it had all happened so quickly.

He also told me that he had heard something walking in the woods after the shot, so we decided to go back to the house to change out of our wool hunting clothes and have a cup of coffee or two to give the deer more time to expire.

When we got back we were able to pick up the trail and follow it at a fast pace as the sign was now much easier to see.

The deer had only traveled about 40 yards before expiring.

The 140 grain PowerPoint bullet had taken out the bottom of the heart and at least one lung, and also broke the buck’s opposite knee when it exited.

There was some ground shrinkage, but it was the still biggest buck I had ever taken.

Its 8-point rack had a 15 inch spread with 4 to 5 inch tines.

I am convinced that texting actually helped me get that deer as it caused me to remain facing forward until the animal had walked past my stand.

If I had the rifle in my hands I might have tried to turn to see the deer while he was walking in my direction and gotten busted.

Hence, he is the deer I got by texting.”


jaybe, you have to be one of

jaybe, you have to be one of the best story tellers on here, i always enjoy reading your stories, as they are always entertaining. now on to your texted deer, very nice buck indeed, it is nice to see we still have some decent bucks here in michigan, thank  for all the stories and please keep rhem coming


Deer Slayer's picture

Great story, I really enjoyed

Great story, I really enjoyed it. I can't say anything like that has happened to me yet. I'm sure though with the way technology is these days something similar like that will happen eventually. If it does I hope my story will end as good as yours did though. Congratulations on your biggest buck to date, that is great. Thanks for sharing your story and picture. 

ManOfTheFall's picture

Congratulations on a nice

Congratulations on a nice buck. I enjoyed oyur story and picture. That was definitely a unique way to take a buck. I have a similar story. I work midnights and one morning I got off early and decided to go hunting instead of home. I went home, got ready as quick as I could and heade off to my stand. It was a crazy morning. As I headed to my stand I must have busted 30 or more deer. I finally reached my stand and figured with all the deer I busted on my way in I probably wouldn't see a thing. Boy, was I ever wrong. Within 3 minutes I was covered in does and fawns. Off in the distance I could see a large bodied deer making it's way towards me. I seen it was a buck when it was about 100 yards away. He began chasing doe's everywhere. I tried stopping him a few times with some grunts but he was far too interested in them doe's. He made another pass by my stand at about 20 yards. At just the right time my cell phone went off and that buck stopped dead in his tracks. Usually I set my phone to vibrate but in my haste to get out there I forgot. I had my bow up and I let the arrow fly and nailed a nice large bodied 8 point. My wife was calling me asking me where I was. I told her thanks to her call I just nailed a nice buck.  

remington 600 in 284

That is me in the picture...  Jaybe is a friend of mine.

284 wincheter not an original chambering for the remington 600.  I bought it used with an after market gowan barrel chambered in 284 winchester.  Very accurate and I love the history of the 284 winchester.  I get the ammo from wisconsin cartridge company (very reasonable). I have the reloading dies for it but since the brass is about as expensive as the ammo I thought I'd use up the ammo I bought and reload them afterwards. 

This deer was taken in Onaway Michigan.  My first buck bigger than a fork horn.  I am pretty pleased with it.   I think my wife and Kids were almost more excited about it than I was.  By the time I got home pictures had been plastered all over the internet.  


groovy mike's picture

Great looking deer

I don't care how you got him (as long as it was legal!) that is a GREAT buck and one to be proud of.  A real wall hanger.  Well done! And thanks for sharing the story.  It is nice to know that some one else gets fidgity too!



Tndeerhunter's picture


Jerry, Great story there and a fine buck to top it off as well. Your story had a much better ending than a similar one concerning my son-in-law who got busted when he stopped to call his Brother-in-law and a nice wide Tennessee buck decided to walk into view.

I'm sure glad your incident worked out. I also enjoyed seeing your weapon of choice, an old Remington 600 Carbine in .284. Was .284 the stock chambering or did you re-barrel it? I owned a couple of M600s and one 660 in the past myself. Recently found an '80s M77 NIB in .284 as well. I hope I'm as lucky with mine when I take er in the woods!

Thanks again,


jim boyd's picture

Jaybe, Ground shrinkage or


Ground shrinkage or not, that is a great looking buck!

His rack looks very well balanced and even - when scored, I feel he would have a very minimal amount of deductions.

OK, so he is not a 150 inch buck, but he is still a fine beast.

He also looks to have great body size - his front shoulders are big and thick... we do not see this on deer in the south until they are 3.5 years old.

Not sure where you took this one - I think you are in Michigan and I know you folks have some great genetics up there for the deer herd.

I particularly liked the part of the story where the tines were originally 6 - 8 inches long and then ended up being 4 - 5!

I think all hunters are guilty of this - I know I certainly have been in the past - although I have also seen it exactly the other way around... where I shot a buck and did not get a good look at his antlers only to find they were larger than I originally thought when the shot was taken.

The texting thing... we joke all the time that the cell phones have saved the lives of more deer than we could ever imagine, simply because we were distracted by the device and just never saw a deer slipping past - or managed to see them just as they passed out of range or into heavy cover.

I have GOT to find a way to limit the amount I use mine on the stand... I was really bad this year.

I also recall - that like the distraction provided by cell phone - I used to read paperbacks in the stand... and that cost me dearly in 2006 or 2007.

I was hunting with the muzzleloader and glanced up from the book to see a 120" or so buck standing at 40 yards, looking right at me. He bounded off never to be seen again - I put the books away and never took another one to the stand.

I need to do that with cell phones in spite of the fact that yours helped you bag the buck in this story!

In most places here in the south, we rarely hear the deer slipping past because we do not get a good leaf fall until about Thanksgiving or a little after and most of our hunting is past us at that point.

Great story - and very well told... I liked it a lot.

Thumbs up for Jaybe!