The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish has just published the new Big Game and Trapper Rules and Information Booklet for 2011-2012. It is available online now at www.wildlife.state.nm.us . Printed versions will be available by Jan. 1 at license vendors across the state and any of the Department's five offices.
New information for the 2011-2012 hunting season includes:
- Feb. 2 is the deadline to apply for oryx draw licenses, oryx population management hunts, bear WMA permits and turkey draw permits.
- March 28 is the deadline to apply for public deer, elk, pronghorn antelope, ibex, Barbary sheep, javelina, bighorn sheep draw licenses and all population management hunts except oryx.
- Application fees have been reduced to $8 for residents and $20 for nonresidents.
- All Antelope Management Units (AMUs) have been replaced with Game Management Units (GMUs).
- Hunts for bighorn ewes (females) will be held in the Latir Mountains.
- Legal shooting hours have been increased to 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset for all big game and turkey hunts.
Online applications will be available after Jan. 5.