Wisconsin Deer Hunters Opening Day - Nov. 21st
Hunters anxiously waiting for opening morning of the 2009 gun deer hunt won't have to sit still much longer with the Nov. 21 opener just days away.
"Deer hunting is part of the bedrock of our traditions in Wisconsin and I'd like to wish hunters and their families the best of luck for a safe and successful hunt," said Department of Natural Resources Secretary Matt Frank. Last minute reminders
Every deer season is a little different and 2009 is no exception. DNR wildlife managers and conservation wardens wish to remind hunters of some important changes for this year's hunt.
Wisconsin's regular nine-day gun deer season opens Nov. 21.
- * Most of the north and central forest region deer management units are designated as Regular Deer Management Units in 2009. Consequently, the free antlerless tags valid in Herd Control Units are not valid in these regular units. Hunters wishing to harvest an antlerless deer in these units must purchase a unit-specific antlerless deer carcass tag ($12 for residents, $20 for nonresidents).
- * Unit-specific antlerless deer carcass tags are limited in number. There are no antlerless tags available in 13 northeastern Wisconsin units and some units with low numbers of tags have already sold out. Check the regulations and be sure you know the rules for your unit and have the right tags.
- * The free antlerless deer carcass tag that comes with a gun deer license is good only in herd control units.
- * Only CWD Management Zone units will have earn-a-buck in 2009.
- * The venison pantry program is celebrating its 10th anniversary – a list of participating processors is available on the Deer Donation page of the DNR Web site. This program – made possible by hunters - has had a tremendous positive impact on thousands of families.
More information on deer hunting in Wisconsin is available on the DNR Web site, http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/.