Utah Permits for Buck Deer and Pronghorn Available June 12-14

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

If you haven't obtained a permit to hunt buck deer in Utah this fall, your next chance to get one begins June 14. That's when permits not taken in this year's big game draw go on sale.

Most of Utah's buck deer permits were taken in the draw, but more than 12,000 Northern Region rifle and muzzleloader, and 8,300 statewide general archery permits, are still available.

Permits to hunt bull elk on general season any bull elk and spike bull elk units also go on sale June 14.

June 12

In addition to the deer and elk permits, two pronghorn antelope permits will be available on June 12, two days before the deer and elk permits go on sale.

Both of the pronghorn permits are archery permits. One of the permits is for the Box Elder, Promontory unit in northwestern Utah. The other permit is for the Pine Valley unit in southwestern Utah.

Permits - where to buy them

The deer, elk and pronghorn permits will be available at the DWR's Web site and from DWR offices and more than 350 hunting license agents across the state.

Time when you can buy a permit varies

The time when you can buy a permit on June 12 and on June 14 varies.

Beginning at 8 a.m., you can buy a permit at the DWR's Web site or a DWR office.

License agents cannot sell permits earlier than 8 a.m. on June 12 or on June 14, but some of them may not be open for business until later in the morning.

"If you plan on buying a permit from a license agent, I'd encourage you to contact the agent in advance to learn when they'll open for business on the day you'll be visiting them," says Judi Tutorow, wildlife licensing coordinator for the DWR.

Save time - visit the Web site or a license agent

Tutorow says when permits have gone on sale in the past, long lines have formed at some of the DWR offices. To save time, she encourages hunters to visit the DWR's Web site or a hunting license agent.

"You need a major credit card to buy a permit at the Web site, but if you have one, the Web site is a great option," she says. "Hunting license agents are also a good choice. In addition to weekdays, most of them are open on weekends and evenings, and they may be closer to your home than a DWR office."

For more information, call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office or the DWR's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.