Utah Cow Elk Permits on Sale July 26th
If spending some extra time hunting elk in Utah this fall sounds good to you, mark July 26 on your calendar. That's when cow elk permits not taken in this year's Utah Antlerless Draw go on sale.
"Hunters can have two elk permits in Utah, but at least one of those permits must be a cow elk permit," says Judi Tutorow, wildlife licensing coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources.
"Allowing elk hunters to have at least one cow elk permit is a 'win-win' for everyone," Tutorow says. "It helps keep Utah's elk herds within their population objective by increasing the chance that enough cow elk will be taken. It also gives hunters a chance to spend some extra time in the field."
Tutorow says the following hunters are eligible to obtain a second elk permit:
- * If you obtain a cow elk permit in Utah's antlerless draw, you can obtain a second cow elk permit beginning July 26.
- * If you've already obtained a bull elk or a hunter's choice elk permit, but you haven't obtained a cow elk permit yet, you can obtain a cow elk permit beginning July 26.
- * If you haven't obtained any elk permits by July 26, you can obtain two cow elk permits. Please remember that if you obtain two cow elk permits, you can't buy a bull elk or a hunter's choice elk permit this year (you can't have three elk permits).
If you draw a cow elk permit in the antlerless draw, but you haven't obtained a bull elk or a hunter's choice elk permit yet, you have another option. Instead of buying a second cow permit, you can buy a bull elk or a hunter's choice elk permit.
Cow elk permits on sale July 26
Permits not taken in this year's Antlerless Draw will be available July 26 at the DWR's Web site, from more than 350 hunting license agents across Utah and at DWR offices.
Permits will be available at the Web site and at DWR offices starting at 8 a.m. Hunting license agents will open their doors during their regular business hours, so the hours when you can buy a permit from them will vary.
"If you're interested in buying a permit from a license agent, I'd encourage you to contact the agent before July 26 so you'll know when they'll open for business that day," Tutorow says.
Mostly private lands
Most of the permits that will be available on July 26 are for hunts that occur mostly on private land. "Before you buy a permit for a hunt that occurs on private land, I'd encourage you to get written permission from the landowner," Tutorow says. "That way, if you obtain the permit, you know you'll be able to use it."
A permits list is available at wildlife.utah.gov/hunting. Once you've entered that part of the Web site, click on the "2007 big game remaining permits" selection to see the list.
Tutorow says hunters can have two elk permits in any of the following combinations:
- * One bull elk permit and one cow elk permit;
- * Two cow elk permits; or,
- * One hunter's choice permit and one cow elk permit.
You may NOT obtain two bull elk permits, or a bull elk permit and a hunter's choice permit.
For more information, call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office or the DWR's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.