Tips From Vermont F&W for Hunting Mentors
Tips from Vt F&W for Hunting Mentors
A youngster’s first deer hunt can mark the beginning of a lifelong passion for the outdoors and a commitment to wildlife conservation. To make the most of the upcoming Youth Deer Weekend, the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department offers these tips to mentors:
• Hunt Safe. No matter what the age of participants, hunting is one the safest outdoor activities. Youth hunters are some of the safest hunters when accompanied by an alert mentor.
• Hunt Smart. Scouting and range practice are necessary and exciting ingredients to any successful hunt.
• Model Behavior. Safe and responsible hunters are mentored by safe and responsible hunters.
• Go often. Lifelong hunting participation is directly related to the amount of time spent hunting in youth, especially when these experiences occur in a family or mentor setting.
• Respect the Intent: The youth deer weekend hunt on November 5 and 6 is for the youth, not you. Legally, you must leave your firearm at home, and the youth must harvest the animal.
• Have Fun! Being with family and friends and generally having a good time is more important to youth hunters than bagging game. Don’t push them. Young hunters need positive reinforcement
For more information, check out the Department’s Youth Hunting Page: http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/hunttrap_youth.cfm