Special Youth Deer Hunt Set
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources in cooperation with the United States Air Force Environmental Wing will be conducting a special youth deer hunt Saturday, Nov. 1 at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range at Shaw Air Force Base in Sumter County. Applications are due by 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 17.
Fifteen youths will be selected to participate in this special hunt, and there will be no application fee and no hunting license required. To request an application, call the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in Columbia at (803) 734-3886 or in Florence at (843) 661-4768. Applications and questionnaires should be returned to: DNR/USAF Youth Deer Hunt, 2007 Pisgah Road, Florence, SC 29501.
To be eligible for the special youth deer hunt, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be between the ages of 12 and 15 inclusive at the time of the hunt;
- Applicants must have a hunter education certificate;
- A parent or legal guardian must provide written permission for their child to participate;
- A parent, legal guardian or other responsible adult must provide transportation for each youth to and from the event;
- Preference will be given to applicants with limited hunting experience and opportunities for participating in hunting.
On the day of the hunt, Nov. 1, immediately after check-in and a brief refresher course on hunter safety, all participants will be required to shoot their firearms at the rifle range before going on the hunt. Firearms for this hunt will be restricted to center-fire rifles. Rifles with telescopic sights are recommended.
Hunting will be from elevated stands and a parent or an adult from a cooperating organization will accompany each youth in the deer stand. Before the hunt, the United States Air Force Environmental Wing will provide lunch.