South Dakota Mountain Lion Management Meetings
Game, Fish and Parks Department officials will go across the state in the next few weeks to visit with South Dakota residents about mountain lions.
"We are in the process of updating South Dakota's mountain lion management plan," explained Tony Leif, GFP Wildlife Division director. "An important early step in that process is to gather public input."
Leif said GFP staff will travel to several towns in March and April to hold information gathering meetings. The information will be used in development of revisions to the current mountain lion management plan in April, and then the draft will be made available to the public for additional comment. The management plan will be adopted in time for the August GFP Commission meeting when the mountain lion hunting season will be proposed, he said.
"Not only will this be an opportunity for the public to provide input, but our staff also will have details from research we have completed over the past few years on mountain lions," Leif added.
The management plan will be finalized in time for the GFP Commission’s August meeting, when details of the next mountain lion hunting season will be proposed.
Informational meeting locations and times will be posted on the GFP Web site at www.sdgfp.info under "What's New."
- * Spearfish – Mar. 22, 6-8 p.m. at the Holiday Inn
- * Sioux Falls – Mar. 23, 7-9 p.m. at The Outdoor Campus
- * Yankton – Mar. 24, 7-9 p.m. at the Archery Center
- * Mitchell – Mar. 25, 7-9 p.m. at the MTI Tech Center
- * Hot Springs – Mar. 29, 7-9 p.m. at the Mueller Center
- * Buffalo – Mar. 30, 6-8 p.m. at the Buffalo Recreation Center
- * Custer – Mar. 31, 7-9 p.m. at the County Annex Building
- * Rapid City, Apr. 1, 7-9 p.m. at the Best Western Ramkota
- * Aberdeen, Apr. 12, 7-9 p.m. at the Ramada
- * Winner, Apr. 13, 7-9 p.m. at the Holiday Inn
- * Pierre, Apr. 14, 7-9 p.m. at the Chamber of Commerce