Significant Changes in Hunting Regulations

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Three major changes are in store for Mississippi hunters this year, according to the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks. These changes include two deer management zones, crossbow permits, and Wildlife Management Area (WMA) user permits.

All residents and non-residents are now eligible to purchase a General Crossbow License. This license is valid only during primitive weapon and gun season for deer.

In addition to the General Crossbow License, residents are required to have a Sportsman or All Game Hunting License, and non-residents are required to have an All Game License as well as a deer or turkey permit.

The General Crossbow License can be purchased at area retailers, local district offices, the Jackson office, or by dialing 1-800-5GO-HUNT.

The General Crossbow License DOES NOT replace the Special Crossbow permit, which is available for individuals who are disabled or 65 years of age or older.

Residents 16 years of age and older and all non-residents using any state operated WMA not on U.S. Forest Service land must purchase a WMA user permit (residents $15; non-residents $30) in addition to any other required hunting/fishing license and daily visitor permit.

For state operated WMAs on U.S. Forest Service land, these permits are required only for hunting, fishing, or trapping.

Permits can be purchased from any point-of-sale (POS) agent, at the local district offices, or at the Jackson office.

The state deer hunting season is divided into two zones.

The following are deer season dates for Zone 1:

Deer Management Zone 1 - Areas north of Hwy. 84 plus areas south of Hwy. 84 and west of Hwy. 35. OPEN PUBLIC LANDS include National Forests, Corps of Engineers lands, etc., that have statewide seasons without special regulations.