Resident Deer Permits Available

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

For the 2002-2003 deer seasons, the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) again is offering a number of resident deer permits that may be purchased without going through a drawing. Applications for these permits are now available from Wildlife and Parks offices or from the agency's website, .

Whitetail antlerless only permits ($30.50) and whitetail antlerless only deer game tags ($10.50) may be purchased over the counter at county clerks' offices, Wildlife and Parks offices, and many vendors of hunting equipment. Hunters may purchase one whitetail antlerless only deer permit and as many as four whitetail antlerless only deer game tags. Any hunter may purchase up to four deer game tags; however, only two game tags may be used in units 1, 2, 5, 10, 11, 14, 17, and 18. The game tags are not valid on land managed by the Department of Wildlife and Parks.

A third -- and perhaps the most popular -- permit that may be purchased without going through the draw process is the whitetail either sex permit. This permit may be purchased only at Wildlife and Parks offices or through the mail. Hunters are urged to order by mail or buy early to avoid long waiting lines at department offices."With muzzleloader season just around the corner, we can expect our deer permit sales to pick up," explains Karen Beard, Licensing Section chief for KDWP.

"This year, we sold about 5,800 fewer whitetail either sex permits through July than we did last year. That means that hunters are probably waiting, so they can expect longer lines unless they use our mail-in applications or buy as soon as possible. "Copies of Kansas deer permit and tag applications are available for download at the department's website (, by phoning (620) 672-5911, or by emailing