Remaining Cow Elk Permits Available July 31st
Another opportunity to obtain a second elk permit for this year's hunts begins July 31, when hunters may apply for cow elk permits in Utah's second antlerless draw.
The following may apply for a second elk permit:
- Hunters who obtain a cow elk permit in Utah's first (initial) antlerless draw may apply for a second cow elk permit beginning July 31. Results of Utah's first antlerless draw will be available by July 31. Hunters have until 5 p.m. on Aug. 8, to submit applications for antlerless permits not taken in the first draw.
- Hunters who have obtained a bull elk or hunter's choice elk permit, but haven't obtained a cow elk permit yet, may apply for a cow elk permit beginning July 31.
- Hunters who haven't obtained an elk permit by July 31 may apply for two cow elk permits. Hunters who do this are reminded that if they draw two cow elk permits, they may not purchase a bull elk or hunter's choice permit this year.
Hunters who draw a cow elk permit in the first antlerless draw have another option. Instead of applying for a second cow permit, they may buy a bull elk or hunter's choice permit.
Judi Tutorow, wildlife licensing coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources, says hunters may have two elk permits in any of the following combinations:
- One bull elk permit and one cow elk permit;
- Two cow elk permits; or,
- One hunter's choice permit and one cow elk permit.
Hunters may NOT obtain two bull elk permits, or a bull elk and hunter's choice permit.
Hunters who qualify to apply for a remaining cow elk permit, and have a major credit card, may apply for a permit on this Web site beginning July 31.
Hunters who don't have a major credit card must mail an application in. Application forms and a list of remaining permits will be available from DWR offices, and the DWR Web site, beginning July 31.
A list of remaining permits also will be mailed to everyone who applied in the first antlerless draw.
Applications must be received no later than 5 p.m. on Aug. 8 to be entered in the second antlerless draw. Draw results will be posted by Aug. 26.
Any permits still remaining after the draw will be available from the DWR's Salt Lake City office only, either in-person or through the mail, beginning Aug. 28.
For more information, call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office or the DWR's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.