Out-of-State Snowmobilers Reminded to Obtain a Montana Permit

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Montana State Parks (stateparks.mt.gov) is reminding non-residents planning to snowmobile in Montana this year that they should obtain a $25 non-resident permit.

“If you are a Montanan who rides with friends from out of state, please remind them this permit is mandatory,” said Walt Timmerman, Snowmobile Program Manager for Montana State Parks. “The fee goes to help the state's local snowmobile clubs keep trails groomed.”

“Montana offers amazing snowmobile trails, but during my patrols, I frequently see snowmobiles that are registered in another state or a Canadian province,” said Chris Crane, a Game Warden in the Whitefish District. “Unfortunately, some of the riders do not have the required non-resident decal to operate on Montana’s public lands.”

The non-resident snowmobile permit program has been in effect since 2003 and the majority of the funding generated goes toward the grooming of Montana’s snowmobile trail systems. Snowmobilers from another state, or visiting from Canada, are required to purchase the non-resident decal to operate their snowmobile on public lands in Montana.

Decals are available online, at retailers across the state, or at any Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks regional office.

Non-resident decals can be purchased online at:


A vendor list and paper application can be found at:


FWP Regional Offices:


For more information on snowmobile riding, visit stateparks.mt.gov and click on Recreation or call: 406-444-3753.

The Montana Snowmobile Program is a state grant program available to snowmobile clubs, organizations and public land-managing agencies for grooming of snowmobile trails, and more. The program is administered by Montana State Parks. .

Visit Montana State Parks (stateparks.mt.gov) and enjoy camping, hiking, fishing, swimming, boating and more and discover some of the greatest natural and cultural treasures on earth.