Only a Few Days Left for Your Chance at Michigan's Hunt of a Lifetime
With 2011 drawing to a close, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources reminds hunters that the last day to purchase Pure Michigan Hunt applications is Saturday, Dec. 31.
Applicants can purchase an unlimited number of $4 chances for Michigan's "Hunt of a Lifetime" anywhere DNR licenses are sold or online at www.mdnr-elicense.com. Three lucky hunters will be randomly selected to win the 2012 Pure Michigan Hunt ultimate prize package, including licenses to hunt elk, bear, turkey, deer and waterfowl, along with an array of donated merchandise.
"Dollars generated from this unique opportunity fund wildlife habitat restoration and improvements here in Michigan," said DNR Wildlife Division Chief Russ Mason. "Wildlife management in Michigan is paid for by the users, and the purchase of a hunting license is the best investment folks can make to support our wildlife species and the habitat they depend on."
Thanks to generous donations from several Michigan companies and organizations, Mason added, the winners will walk away not only with lifelong memories of a coveted elk or bear hunt, but also an incredible selection of prizes, including:
- Brickhouse ground blind from Ameristep
- 2012 Scorpion II crossbow package from Darton Archery
- One-year magazine subscription and duck decoy from Michigan Chapter of Ducks Unlimited
- Savage Model 115 American Classic Rifle from Michigan Gun Owners
- One-year magazine subscriptions to Michigan Out-of-Doors magazine and Tracks youth magazine from Michigan United Conservation clubs
- Nine Square Target System from MOR Archery
- Custom box call, hunting vest and turkey patch from Michigan Chapter of National Wild Turkey Federation
- Soroc sports sled from Northwoods Wholesale Outlets
- Start-up package, including membership fee and deer-aging kit, from Quality Deer Management Association
"I encourage all Michigan hunters to buy their own chance for a Pure Michigan Hunt," said past Pure Michigan Hunt winner Randy Willis. "What a wonderful year of hunting it has been. This is truly the hunt of a lifetime!"
As part of his Pure Michigan Hunt package, Willis was able to take a 6x6 elk, a bear and several antlerless deer. He also participated in a managed waterfowl hunt at Shiawassee River State Game Area and the spring turkey hunt.
Pure Michigan Hunt applications also make a great last-minute holiday gift or stocking stuffer. Those who purchase applications as gifts for other hunters need to use the gift recipient's identification - a Michigan driver's license number or DNR Sportcard number - to ensure the recipient is awarded the hunting rights.
For more information on the Pure Michigan Hunt, visit www.michigan.gov/puremichiganhunt.
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr.