Online Applications Available
Hunters applying online for South Dakota’s big game licenses should remember that the program is open for the first three drawings.
"As we move further into 2003, applicants are reminded that the online application program can be used for the first three drawings," said License Coordinator Al Jockheck. "Licenses available after the third drawing are first-come, first-served."
The online application system has been popular for big game applicants. "Estimates indicate we received just more than 50 percent of all of this year’s spring turkey applications via the internet," Jockheck said. He noted that approximately 62 percent of nonresidents used the online program, which was just a little higher than resident use.
The estimated breakdown by residency and season include:
- Custer State Park turkey – 65 percent
- Resident prairie turkey – 45 percent
- Nonresident prairie turkey - 60 percent
- Resident Black Hills turkey – 63 percent
- Nonresident Black Hills turkey – 60 percent
- Resident archery turkey – 62 percent
- Nonresident archery turkey – 67 percent
Special buck deer is the next application deadline. Paper applications must be postmarked no later than May 9. Online applications will be accepted up till midnight, Monday, May 12.
The webpage to apply for South Dakota’s big game licenses is located at www.state.sd.us/gfp/BigGameApps/.