Northwest New Mexico Requires Private Apps for Hunting

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Private landowners in Game Management Units 2A, 2B, 2C, 4, and 5A in northwestern New Mexico are reminded that they must obtain specially marked application forms for private-land deer hunts on their property.

Anyone interested in hunting deer on private land in those units must obtain one of the special applications from the landowner to be eligible for the upcoming public lottery drawing for deer hunts. The application deadline for deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, ibex and javelina is April 9. Hunters can apply for Unit 2, 4 or 5A private-land hunts and public hunts on the special application forms, but can not apply for the private-land hunts on regular application forms.

Landowners requested and the State Game Commission approved the special-application procedure to help reduce trespassing and other illegal activities in Unit 2, 4 or 5A, some of the state's most popular deer-hunting areas. Landowners can obtain the special applications from their area Deparment of Game and Fish conservation officer or by calling Northwest Area Game Manager Bill Taylor at (505) 222-4700. Landowners will need to provide proof that they own property within Game Management Unit 2, 4 or 5A.

For more information about the special application forms, please call Taylor at (505) 222-4700.