New Hunt Regulation Pamphlet On-line
The new 2003 Big Game Hunting Seasons and Rules pamphlet is posted on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) website and printed copies will soon be arriving at recreational license dealers.
The pamphlet, which outlines seasons and rules for hunting deer, elk and other big game, is expected to arrive at private license vendor outlets by May 23.
Included in the pamphlet are details on recent rule changes for this fall's big game hunts including:
- Additional opportunity for muzzleloader hunters and a new deer "B" tag that will allow successful applicants to harvest a second antlerless deer in some eastern game management units and some islands in the Puget Sound.
- A change in the dates of the early archery elk season, which has been scheduled to run from Sept. 8 to 21.
- More fall permits available for turkey hunters.
- A shift in some black bear hunting season dates.
- A split season for hunting bighorn sheep.
The new rules, which reflect objectives in the recently adopted WDFW six-year Game Management Plan, were adopted in April by the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission.
Hunters are reminded that the deadline for special permit applications is June 22. Additional information on purchasing hunting licenses and applying for special permits is available at fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov on the Internet.