New Hampshire Unit M Permits Now Available

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Hunters who want the chance to take an additional antlerless deer in Wildlife Management Unit M in southeastern New Hampshire during the fall hunting seasons can buy a special permit from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department.

Interested hunters can purchase a permit online at; buy a permit from Fish and Game headquarters in Concord; print a mail-in application from the Fish and Game website; or call 603-271-3422 to request a permit application by mail.

Fish and Game will issue a total of 6,000 permits this year. Unit M permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis and cost $13. Applicants must hold a current New Hampshire hunting or archery license. Each hunter may buy one Unit M permit each year. Hunters may use this permit on any day during those seasons for which they are legally licensed -- including the archery, muzzleloader and regular firearms seasons -- to take one additional antlerless deer in Unit M. Youth hunters are eligible to buy a Unit M permit.

Special Unit M permits have been issued in New Hampshire since 1997. They reflect a long-term objective, outlined in the state's Big Game Management Plan, to reduce deer numbers in southeastern New Hampshire and minimize deer-human conflicts, such as vehicle collisions and destructive browsing of ornamental plants. High deer densities and the region's more intensive development make potential deer-human conflicts of greater concern in southeastern New Hampshire, where Unit M is located.

Specific boundaries for Unit M, and more information on the special permits, can be found at

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is the guardian of the state's fish, wildlife and marine resources and their habitats. Visit