New Brunswick 2008-09 Hunting Dates Released
A list of New Brunswick hunting dates and bag limits was issued by the Department of Natural Resources.
2008-09 hunting dates and bag limits:
- Sept. 25-27 Moose season open for resident and non-resident hunters. The bag limit is one moose (either sex). Moose may be harvested only in the Wildlife Management Zone indicated on the license.
- Oct. 6-Nov.22* Deer archery season for resident and non-resident archers. The bag limit is one antlered deer or one antlerless deer (only by authorized permit holder). Hunters who harvest a deer during archery season are ineligible to hunt deer during the regular season, with one exception: archery hunters who successfully harvest and register an antlerless deer in Wildlife Management Zone 27 during the three-week bow--only portion of the deer-hunting season (Oct. 6-25) will be eligible to purchase a second licence to hunt antlered deer in any wildlife management zones open for deer hunting. This opportunity is available only to archery hunters who have been successfully drawn in the 2008 antlerless deer draw for WMZ 27.
- Oct. 27 - Nov. 22* Regular deer season for resident and non-resident hunters. The bag limit is one antlered deer or one antlerless deer. Antlerless deer may only be harvested by hunters who have been successful in a specific wildlife management zone in the 2008 antlerless deer draw.
- Oct. 1 - Nov. 1 Fall season for black bear and coyote. Open for resident and non-resident hunters. (Season closed in Wildlife Management Zones 26 and 27.) Bag limit is one bear of either sex per year. No bag limit for coyote. Non-resident hunters are permitted to hunt only in the wildlife management zone indicated on their license.
- Oct. 1 - Dec. 6 Ruffed grouse and spruce grouse season (archery and firearm). Open for resident and non-resident hunters, including minors. Daily bag limit is six grouse, with a possession limit of 12.
- Oct.1-Feb.28,2009 Varying hare season. Open for resident and non-resident hunters, including minors. The daily bag limit is 10 varying hare, with a possession limit of 20.
- Oct.1-Feb.28,2009 Groundhog, coyote, crow and cormorant (only when there is an open season for migratory birds) season. Open for resident and non-resident hunters, including minor hunters. No bag limit.
- Mar.2-Sept.19, 2009 2009 varmint season for resident and non-resident hunters. Groundhog, coyote, cormorant and crow are the species covered by a varmint licence. No bag limit.
- April 20-June 27, 2009 2009 Spring black bear and coyote season for resident and non-resident hunters. (Season closed in Wildlife Management Zones 26 and 27.) The bag limit for black bear is one per year. Hunters are permitted to harvest only black bear not accompanied by one or more cubs. There is no bag limit for coyote.
Please Note that Sunday hunting will be permitted for three Sundays during the period of Oct. 28 until Nov. 17, inclusive, in any year. During 2008, the three Sundays on which hunting will be permitted are: Nov. 2, 9, and 16.
*Closing dates may vary, depending on Wildlife Management Zone. More information on season dates can be found on the Natural Resources website at http://www.gnb.ca/naturalresources.
For information on migratory bird hunting, refer to the Environment Canada website at http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca.