Nebraska Deer Permits Available
There are still plenty of Nebraska 2007 deer hunting season permits available for resident and nonresident hunters in most units, including the Elkhorn, Blue Southeast, Blue Northwest and Republican Whitetail units. The only units that are sold out are the Republican and DeSoto December Muzzlelaoder units.
Nebraskas 2007 regular nine-day November firearm deer hunting season will be Nov. 10 - 18; the archery deer season will be Sept.15 - Nov. 9 and Nov.19 - Dec. 31, the muzzleloading deer season will be Dec. 1-31, and the January late season will be Jan. 1-15, 2008.
Deer hunters in Nebraska can have a maximum of two either sex deer permits and any number of antlerless permits. Kit Hams, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commissions big game program manager, said, "We expect to have a record deer population this fall and we encourage hunters to take advantage of the liberal antlerless seasons in most areas of the state and harvest does."
The 2007 youth deer hunting season will run concurrently with the regular adult seasons. The Nebraska youth deer permit allows a youth to hunt deer with archery equipment during the archery season, a rifle during the regular November firearm season, or a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season. Youth permits are not valid for the January seasons. The hunter can use the youth permit to hunt during the regular seasons until the permit is filled.
Nebraska resident deer permits cost $28 and resident November firearm statewide buck permits are $68.50. Nonresident deer permits are $178, nonresident November firearm statewide buck permits are $443.50, and nonresident antlerless-only tags are $55.
The statewide buck-only permit allows the hunter to take a whitetail or mule deer buck during the November firearm deer season. The real advantages of a statewide buck-only permit is that the hunter is not limited to hunting a particular management unit.
The "season choice" permit allows the bearer to choose when to hunt. Holders of season choice permits can harvest an antlerless deer using archery equipment during the archery season, a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season, or a firearm during the November firearm season or the special late firearm season in January. The hunter can use a season choice permit to hunt in any or all of the seasons until the permit is filled. Hunters should remember however, that a permit for Season Choice Area 2 is not valid at Harlan County Reservoir.
Permits are sold on a first-come, first-served basis both online at the Commissions web site at www.OutdoorNebraska.org, and over the counter from Commission offices in Alliance, Bassett, Chadron State Park (SP), Fort Robinson SP, Kearney, Niobrara SP, Norfolk, North Platte, Omaha, Lincoln, Wildcat Hills State Recreation Area, and at the Ak-Sar-Ben Aquarium. Completed application forms will also be accepted by mail at the Commissions Lincoln office at 2200 N. 33rd Street, Lincoln, 68503.
2007 Nebraska Deer Hunting Season Dates:
- Statewide Archery Season: Sept. 15-Nov. 9 and Nov. 19-Dec. 31
- November Firearm Season: Nov. 10-18
- Statewide Muzzleloader Season: Dec. 1 - 31
- Youth Season – Sept. 15-Nov. 9 and Nov. 19-Dec. 31 with bow; Dec. 1-31 with muzzleloader; and Nov. 10-18 with firearm.
- Season Choice Area Seasons: Sept. 15-Nov. 9 and Nov. 19-Dec. 31 with archery equipment; Dec. 1-31 with muzzleloader; Nov. 10-18 and Jan. 1-15, 2008, with firearm.
- Fontenelle Seasons: Archery – Dec. 1-9; Muzzleloader – Dec. 1-9 2007; Jan. 5-6 and Jan. 12-13, 2008
- Clear Creek WMA Season: Oct. 1-31
- Gifford Point WMA Seasons: Archery – Sept. 15 - Dec. 31; Muzzleloader – Dec. 1-31; Season Choice Area 21 – Jan. 1-15, 2008
- DeSoto October Early Season: Oct. 20-21
- DeSoto October Late Season: Oct. 27-28
- DeSoto December Muzzleloader Season: Dec. 8-9
- DeSoto January Season: Jan. 5-6