Nebraska Archers Report Seeing Lots of Deer
Nebraska's 2006 archery deer hunting season has been open for about a month and bowhunters across the state are reporting seeing good numbers of deer in the field.
There is an unlimited number of archery deer permits available, and still plenty of permits for the November firearm season.
The first part of the archery deer season will continue through Nov.10, the second part of the season will be Nov. 20 - Dec. 31. Nebraska's 2006 regular firearm deer hunting season will be Nov.11-19, and the muzzleloading deer season will be Dec.1-31.
Plenty of statewide buck-only permits and season choice permits are still available.
The statewide buck-only permit allows the hunter to take a whitetail or mule deer buck during the November firearm deer season. The real advantage of a statewide buck-only permit is that the hunter is not limited to hunting a particular management unit, so there are no boundary limitations. For instance, the hunter can pursue a whitetail in the cornfields of eastern Nebraska one day and a mule deer in the pine-studded canyons or rugged escarpments of the Panhandle the next, if he chooses.
The "season choice" permit allows the bearer to choose when to hunt. Holders of season choice permits can harvest an antlerless deer using archery equipment during the archery season, a muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season, or a firearm during the November firearm season or the special late firearm season in January. The hunter can use a season choice permit to hunt in any or all of the seasons until the permit is filled. Hunters should remember however, that a permit for Season Choice Area 2 is not valid at Harlan County Reservoir.
Nebraska resident deer permits cost $28 and resident statewide buck-only permits are $68.50. Nonresident deer permits are $178, nonresident statewide buck-only permits are $443.50, and nonresident antlerless-only season choice tags are $55.
Permits are sold on a first-come, first-served basis both online at the Commission's web site at www.OutdoorNebraska.org, and over the counter from Commission offices in Alliance, Bassett, Chadron State Park (SP), Fort Robinson SP, Kearney, Niobrara SP, Norfolk, North Platte, Omaha, Lincoln, Wild Cat Hills State Recreation Area, and at the Ak-Sar-Ben Aquarium. Completed application forms will also be accepted by mail at the Commission's Lincoln office at 2200 N. 33rd Street, Lincoln, 68503.
2006 Nebraska Deer Hunting Units where permits remain and the number of permits available as of the afternoon of Oct. 12 were:
- Buffalo Whitetail, 867 permits, 100% either sex
- Calamus East, 666 permits, 40% either sex, antlerless mule deer prohibited
- Calamus West, 1,053 permits, 80% either sex
- Frenchman Whitetail, 445 permits, 100% either sex
- Keya Paha, 1,586 permits, 100% either sex, antlerless mule deer prohibited
- Loup East, 290 permits, 50% either sex, antlerless mule deer prohibited
- Loup West, 1,114 permits, 70% either sex
- Pine Ridge, 1,673 permits, 100% either sex, one bonus antlerless deer
- Plains, 926 permits, 100% either sex, one bonus antlerless deer
- Platte, 1,081 permits, 20% either sex
- Platte Whitetail, 692 permits, 100% either sex
- Sandhills, 1,268 permits, 100% either sex
- Upper Platte, 725 permits, 100% either sex
- Statewide Buck-Only, 3,433 permits, 100% buck only
- Youth Season, unlimited permits, 100% either sex
- Statewide Archery, unlimited permits, 100% either sex
- Statewide Muzzleloader, unlimited permits, 100% either sex
- Season Choice Area 1, 1,569 permits, antlerless only, one bonus antlerless tag
- Season Choice Area 2, 1,201 permits, antlerless only, antlerless mule deer prohibited
- Season Choice Area 8, 683 permits, antlerless only, antlerless mule deer prohibited
- Season Choice Area 9, 558 permits, antlerless only, antlerless mule deer prohibited
- Season Choice Area 18, 1,727 permits, antlerless only, one bonus antlerless deer
- Season Choice Area 20, 2,278 permits, antlerless only
- Season Choice Area 21, 5,849 permits, antlerless only, one bonus antlerless deer
- Season Choice Area 22, 294 permits, antlerless only, one bonus antlerless deer