Montana Bison Hunting Applications Available
Applications for Montana's upcoming 90-day bison hunt are now available online. Paper applications will be available Monday, Aug. 28, from most Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks offices and license providers.
For the 2006-07 hunt, the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Commission recently approved the sale of 95 either-sex bison licenses and 45 cow/calf licenses for use between Nov. 15 and Feb. 15, 2007. The hunting will take place in two separate areas over four time periods. The time periods are Nov. 15-Dec. 31, Jan. 1-16, Jan. 17-31, and Feb. 1-15. In accordance with state law, a total of 16 of the licenses will be allotted to Montana's Indian Tribes.
Prospective hunters must apply for licenses, which will be awarded via a special drawing. A license will cost $125 for residents and $750 for nonresidents. Bison hunting regulations and license applications are available on FWP's website at fwp.mt.gov. Printed copies of the applications and regulations will also be available at most FWP offices. Applications, which are due by Sept. 15, will be available at most license providers. The drawing will be held in early October.
The licenses will be valid on private lands with landowner permission and on those public lands specifically defined as bison areas outside the northern and western boundaries of Yellowstone National Park.
How to Apply
- Hunters may apply online, at any FWP office, or through the mail.
- All applications must be received by Friday, Sept. 15, by FWP's Helena Headquarters. - Applications will not be accepted after Friday, Sept. 15.
- Applicants must have a valid 2006 conservation license.
- A $5 nonrefundable drawing fee must accompany the application. Nonresidents must submit a cashier's check or money order.
Applications and Regulations
- Applications and regulations will be available via the FWP website at fwp.mt.gov and from most FWP offices.
- Printed copies of the applications will be available from most license providers on Monday, Aug. 28
- The drawing is scheduled for the first week in October.
- Successful applicants will be notified by FWP.
- Drawing results will also be available via FWP's web site.
FWP will provide each successful applicant with license purchase information. The bison license cost is $125 for residents and $750 for nonresidents. Hunters must purchase their license before they hunt.