Missouri Deer Hunting for Mobility Impaired
One of Missouri's most cherished autumn traditions - deer hunting - once again will be available to hunters with mobility impairments, thanks to state and federal agencies and their local partners.
Some hunters who use wheelchairs, crutches, braces or canes have trouble with the physical challenges associated with hunting. Special hunts on land owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the Missouri Department of Conservation and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service provide help overcoming these obstacles. At the same time, handicapped hunters help the agencies keep deer populations in check.
Details vary from event to event, but help of various kinds is available to participants in these hunts. Guides assist in getting hunters to the field and in getting game to the hunters' vehicles.
Hunt dates, locations and information contacts include:
- --Nov. 3-4 Clearwater Lake in Reynolds County, two openings. Contact Chris Alley, USACE, RR3, Box 3559D, Piedmont, MO 63957. Phone (573) 223-7777, ext. 230. Application deadline Sept. 14.
- --Nov. 3-4 Truman Lake in Benton, Henry and St. Clair counties, 22 openings. Contact Jason Hurley, USACE, 15968 Truman Road, Warsaw, MO 65355. Phone (660) 438-7317, ext. 3035. Application deadline Sept. 30.
- --Nov. 3-4 Stockton Lake in Cedar, Dade and Polk counties, 15 openings. Contact Stanton Rains, USACE Stockton Project Office, 16435 E. Stockton Lake Drive, Stockton, 65785-9471, (417) 276-3113, Stanton.r.Rains@usace.army.mil. Application deadline Sept. 21.
- --Oct. 27-28 Wappapello Lake in Wayne County, 15 openings. Application deadline Oct. 1. Call James Gracey, (573) 222-8562, email@example.com
- --Nov. 17-18 Mark Twain Lake in Ralls and Monroe counties, 35 openings. Contact Allen Mehrer, (573) 735-4097. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline Sept. 10.
- --Nov. 17-18 Smithville Lake in Clay and Clinton counties, 56 openings. Contact Bruce Clark, USACE, P.O. Box 428, Smithville, MO 64089. Phone (816) 532-0174, ext. 10. E-mail email@example.com. Application deadline Oct. 19.
- --Oct. 6-7, Bois D'Arc Conservation Area in Greene County, 12 openings, Contact Mike Brooks, P.O. Box 1812, Bois D'Arc, MO 65612, Phone (417) 742-4361: Deadline Sept. 3.
- --Dec. 8-9 Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Chariton County, eight openings. Registration deadline Oct. 31. For reservations, contact Refuge Manager, 16194 Swan Lake Ave., Sumner, MO 64681. Phone (660) 856-3323. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.