Louisiana Plans 5 Youth Deer Lottery Hunts
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) has scheduled five youth deer lottery hunts on Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) across the state for the 2007-08 deer-hunting season.
Applicants must be between 8-15 years old, except for the Dewey Wills WMA hunts that require applicants to be under 16 years of age. Chosen applicants will be notified by mail after a random computer drawing and must also bring an escort that is at least 18 years of age to the lottery hunt.
Applications are available at LDWF's Web site at www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/regulations/wma/lotteryhunts. Successful applicants will be notified by mail with their lottery permits. Applications are also available at LDWF's regional offices.
The following WMAs are included in this year's youth deer lottery season:
- · Sherburne WMA in St. Martin and Iberville parishes - Applications are due by Oct. 5. Hunt dates are on Dec. 21, 26, 28 and 31.
- · Floy McElroy WMA in Richland Parish - Applications are due by Sept. 7. Hunt dates are on Oct. 20-21, Nov. 3-4 and Nov. 10-11.
- · Dewey W. Wills WMA in Catahoula and LaSalle parishes - Applications are due by Oct. 12. Hunt dates are on Dec. 8 and 9, and Jan. 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, and 20.
- · Tunica Hills WMA in West Feliciana Parish - Applications are due by Oct. 5. Hunt dates are on Nov. 3 and 4.
- · Buckhorn WMA in Tensas Parish - Applications are due by Sept. 28. Hunt dates are on Oct. 27 and 28, Nov. 23-25, Dec. 1-2, 8-9, and 29-30, and Jan. 5-6.
Only one application per youth hunter can be submitted for each WMA deer lottery hunt. A non-refundable $5 check or money order made payable to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries is required with each application. Applications can be mailed with the title of the lottery hunt on the Attn: line. Example, Attn: Lottery Youth Deer Hunt - Floy McElroy WMA, Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, P.O. Box 98000, Baton Rouge, LA 70898.
Youth hunters must possess a hunter safety certification or proof of successful completion of a hunter safety course. However, this requirement is waived if the accompanying adult is in possession of a hunter safety certification, a valid hunting license or proof of successful completion of a hunter safety course.
For more information, contact Scott Longman at 225-765-2347 or email@example.com.