Louisiana Adjusts Deer Seasons in Atchafalaya Flood Basin
At the July 7 meeting, the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission (LWFC) approved changes to the 2011-2012 deer hunting season dates for select areas within the Atchafalaya Basin due to spring flood impacts.
The emergency action, which revises dates previously adopted by the commission, was recommended by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) based on estimates of deer mortality caused by recent historic flooding along the Mississippi River and subsequent opening of the Morganza Spillway on May 14.
The following 2011-2012 deer hunting season revisions will become effective Aug. 1, 2011:
Sherburne Wildlife Management Area:
- Archery, bucks only: Oct. 1-15
- Archery, either-sex: Oct. 16 - Feb. 15
- Youth & Physically Challenged, either-sex: Oct. 29-30; ALL OTHER SEASONS CLOSED. Self-clearing permits.
- Youth Lottery, either-sex: Oct. 29-30 and Dec. 23, 26, 28 & 30.
- Firearms, either-sex: Nov. 25-26, mandatory deer check.
- Firearms, bucks only: Dec. 24 - Jan. 1
Primitive Firearms, either-sex:Jan. 7-8
All lands within the Morganza floodway, from the Morganza control structure, south to I-10, and from I-10 south, within the protection levees of the Atchafalaya Basin:
- Archery, Bucks Only- Oct. 1-15, Either-sex- Oct. 16 - Feb. 15
- Primitive Firearms, Bucks Only- Jan. 23-29
- Still Hunt, Either-sex- Nov. 19-27
- Still Hunt, Bucks Only- Nov. 28 - Dec. 9
- With or Without Dogs, Either-Sex-Dec. 10 -11
- With or Without Dogs, Bucks Only-Dec. 10 - Jan. 15
- Attakapas WMA retains the 2011-2012 deer season dates previously approved by the commission in May.
For more information, contact Scott Durham at 225-765-2351 or email@example.com.