Law Allows Some Nonresident Full-time Students to Purchase Resident Licenses

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

A new law established this past winter during the state legislative session allows nonresident full-time college students living in North Dakota to purchase resident game and fish licenses - with some exceptions.

Senate Bill 2322 allows students from states that are members of the Midwest student or Western undergraduate exchange program to qualify. Those states are Minnesota, Michigan, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, California, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, South Dakota, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Montana, New Mexico and Wyoming.

Only full-time state and tribal college students are eligible for a resident license. Students from private colleges do not qualify.

This law does not make nonresident students eligible for lottery licenses. It applies only to common, over-the-counter licenses such as fishing, small game, waterfowl, and archery deer and pronghorn.

Licenses for qualifying students are issued only through the North Dakota Game and Fish Department's Bismarck office and website. To purchase a license online access the department's website at and click on "instant licensing on the web" on the left side of the page.