Kentucky Fall Hunter Education Class Pre-Registration Has Begun

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Obtaining a hunter education course completion card for yourself or a youth in your family is easy to overlook until it is too late for the start of hunting seasons.

Hunter education courses are not required for children under the age of 12, although a child must be at least 9 years old to take the course. Those required to have a hunting license and born on or after Jan. 1, 1975 must carry a hunter education course completion card while hunting any species. This applies to Kentucky resident and non-resident hunters.

Hunters may obtain a one-time temporary hunter education exemption permit, but it is good only for one year from the date of purchase. A hunter education course completion card is good for a lifetime.

Hunter education courses are spread over 2-3 days. Training concludes with live range work.

Online pre-registration is now available for hunter education courses in September and October, the two busiest months of the year. Pre-registration will help hunter education instructors anticipate the number of participants in these courses earlier. The instructors will also have contact information in case of an emergency course change or cancellation.

To pre-register for a course, visit the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources' homepage at and select the "Education and Outdoor Activities" tab. Click the the "Hunter Education" tab followed by "Hunter Education Class Schedule."

After selecting a course, the information page comes up and you'll see a "Register online" link in blue. Hunter education courses are offered across Kentucky all year long.

Those without computer access can call the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources for more information weekdays at 1-800-858-1549.

A temporary hunter education exemption permit is available to all hunters for a fee of $5.The exemption permit is good for one year only and cannot be renewed. The permit is available online at the department’s website.