Kansas WPC Meeting April 19
The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission will conduct a public meeting and hearing in Dodge City Thursday, April 19. The meeting will be at the Silver Spur Convention Center, 1510 W. Wyatt Earp Boulevard.
The afternoon session will begin at 1:30 p.m. with reports on department-related action by the 2007 Kansas Legislature, as well as discussion of the department's fiscal year 2008 budget. Other general discussion topics slated for the afternoon session include the following:
- * overview of the Playa Lakes Joint Venture;
- * western Kansas tourism initiatives;
- * review of the Horsethief Reservoir project planned in Hodgeman County;
- * discussion of proposed boating regulation changes necessary to enhance safety and uniformity of boat regulations;
- * status of mountain lions in Kansas and the department's large carnivore response plan;
- * an overview of potential fishing regulation changes;
- * discussion of potential changes in park regulations to define legal uses of vehicles on department lands;
- * discussion of the use of posted notices on department lands; and
- * discussion of anticipated federal frameworks for 2007 late migratory bird seasons.
The afternoon session will recess at 5 p.m., and the commission will reconvene at 7 p.m. at the same location for workshop session and public hearing action. Workshop discussion, in preparation for potential future regulatory action, will include the following topics:
- * recommendations for 2007 early migratory bird seasons;
- * proposed amendments to cabin camping permit fees to accommodate the addition of new cabins at state parks and public wildlife areas;
- * recommendations to improve scheduling of deer seasons on Fort Riley; and
- * a recommendation to allow use of a deer game tag at Cedar Bluff Wildlife Area.
Following the workshop discussion, the commission will conduct a public hearing to establish regulations on the following:
- * limits, application periods, and season dates for 2007 deer seasons;
- * Secretary's Orders for deer permit quotas for 2007;
- * limits, application periods, and season dates for 2007 antelope seasons;
- * limits, application periods, and season dates for 2007 elk seasons; and
- * allowing the use of transaction numbers, issued under the department's automated licensing system, in lieu of the permit or license number required under the previous licensing system.
If necessary, the commission will reconvene April 20 at 9 a.m. at the same location to complete its business. Time will be available in all sessions for public comment on topics not on the agenda.
If notified in advance, the department will have an interpreter available for the hearing impaired. To request an interpreter, call the Kansas Commission of Deaf and Hard of Hearing at 1-800-432-0698. Any individual with a disability may request other accommodations by contacting the commission secretary at 620-672-5911.