Input Sought on Draft Bighorn and Mountain Goat Plan
The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife will host 14 public meetings statewide this month to discuss a new draft plan to guide future management of bighorn sheep and mountain goats in Oregon.
An existing plan for bighorn sheep management emphasized transplanting wild bighorns into areas that historically supported them. Since that plan was written in 1992, ODFW has led extremely successful efforts to transplant California bighorns into nearly all historic habitat. The revised draft plan emphasizes transplanting Rocky Mountain bighorns into historic habitat and ensuring that California bighorns maintain genetic diversity and continue to expand their range.
For the first time, ODFW is proposing management direction for Rocky Mountain goats. Oregon has a growing population of goats in the Wallowa and Elkhorn mountains and Hells Canyon. The draft plan identifies potential transplant sites where habitat is suitable.
The draft plan also suggests direction for allocating hunting tags and strategies to protect animal health, water sources and habitat for both wild sheep and wild goats.
A copy of the draft plan will soon be available on the ODFW Web site at www.dfw.state.or.us. Copies also may be obtained by calling the ODFW Wildlife Division at (503) 872-5260.
Public meetings will be held at the following dates and locations:
- BAKER CITY: 6-7 pm, Tuesday, June 17, Federal Building, second floor conference room, 1550 Dewey St.;
- BEND: 7-9 pm, Tuesday, June 17, National Guard Armory Drill Room;
- BURNS: 1-5 pm and 7-9 pm, Tuesday, June 17, ODFW Office, 237 S. Hines Blvd.;
- CANYON CITY: 6-7:30 pm, Thursday, June 19, Grant School District Conference Room, 401 N. Canyon City Blvd.
- CLACKAMAS: 7-9 pm, Thursday, June 19, ODFW Office, 17330 S.E. Evelyn St., Bldg 16;
- ENTERPRISE: 7-9 pm, Thursday, June 19, Best Western Motel, 1200 Highland Ave.;
- KLAMATH FALLS: 7-9 pm, Wednesday, June 18, Oregon State University Extension Office, 3328 Vandenberg Ave.;
- LAGRANDE: 7-9 pm, Wednesday, June 18, Eastern Oregon University, Hoke Room 301, One University Blvd,;
- MEDFORD: 7-9 pm, Thursday, June 12, at J.J. Norths Grand Buffet;
- ONTARIO: 7-9 pm, Wednesday, June 18, Malheur County Extension Office, 710 S.E. Fifth Ave.;
- SALEM: 7-9 pm, Monday, June 16, Chemeketa Community College, Building 50, Room 111;
- SPRINGFIELD: 7-9 pm, Wednesday, June 18, Union Hall, 1116 South A St.;
- THE DALLES: 6-7 pm, Wednesday, June 18, ODFW Screens Shop, 3561 Kindt Dr.;
- TILLAMOOK: 6-8 pm, Tuesday, June 17, ODFW Office, 4907 E. Third St.;