Injured Hiker Rescued From Mt. Eisenhower New Hampshire, After Spending a Chilly Night in the Woods

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

On the afternoon of Sunday, November 06, 2011, personnel from the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, Twin Mountain Fire and Rescue, and U.S. Forest Service responded to Mt. Eisenhower in an effort to assist a man who suffered an injury while descending the Edman’s Path trail. 

Sergio Mori, age 41, of Brookline, MA, began his hike up Mt. Eisenhower on Saturday, November 5, 2011 around 9 a.m.  While descending Edman’s Path that evening, he sustained an ankle injury.  As a result of the injury, Mori found himself unable to walk.  When he took out his cell phone to call for help, Mori realized he didn’t have any cell phone service.  As darkness fell upon Mori, he made efforts to spend the night in the woods, where temperatures fell into the low 20’s.  Early the next morning, another hiker came in contact with Mori and was able to call 911 for him.

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department was notified of the incident shortly before 10 a.m. Sunday. A member of Twin Mountain Fire and Rescue made initial contact with Mori at 12:05 p.m. approximately 2 miles from the Edman’s Path trailhead.  NH Fish and Game Conservation Officers, a US Forest Ranger, and additional volunteers from Twin Mountain Fire and Rescue made contact with Mori shortly thereafter.

Mori was very well prepared for his hike, however, was unable to descend the trail by himself as a result of the ankle injury. Volunteers, along with personnel from the listed agencies, were able to assist Mr. Mori down the Edman’s Path trail to the trailhead (Mori walked himself out with assistance).  At 5:10 p.m., rescue personnel, along with Mori, arrived at the trailhead. Ambulance personnel transported Mori to Littleton Regional Hospital for further evaluation and treatment.


hunter25's picture

Another overnight story that

Another overnight story that at least worked out in th end. I would hate to get stuck out there when the teperature drops that low but I know I would be prepared. Like was said if he was able to walk out with assistance he should have been able to get along a little better than he did. At least maybe to an area with better service as the other hiker was able to make the call for help. At least he didn't freeze to death so maybe that's what they meant by being prepared. Cold is the biggest thing i fear so it pays to be prepared well for it.

Retired2hunt's picture

  Hmmmm.  I have to wonder if


Hmmmm.  I have to wonder if this hiker was really prepared or not.  If he was able to walk out with assistance then he could have made his own set of crutches and assisted himself out of the area on his own - even with a broken ankle... and not have had to spend the night on the trail side.

Also - did he alert or communicate to anyone his whereabouts so once he did not return that evening somebody would have made a call to 911 or the appropriate search and rescue organization?  I don't think so.  He was darn lucky another hiker happened to come and assist him.