Illinois DNR Conservation Police Arrest DeWitt County Man on Animal Torture, Wildlife Offenses

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this
Charges stem from 2010 case involving running over deer with ATV near Clinton Lake 

Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Conservation Police today announced criminal charges are being sought against a Clinton, Illinois man alleged to have participated in February 2010 incidents in which seven deer were run over with an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) near Clinton Lake. 

26 year old Chevy L. Miller of Clinton was arrested by IDNR Conservation Police officers (CPOs) on Jan. 22 as part of an ongoing investigation into the incidents, which occurred on Clinton Power Station property.  Criminal charges against Miller include animal torture, animal harassment, unlawful hunting and unlawful hunting with aid of a motor vehicle.

The investigation began in February 2010 after a citizen contacted CPOs and reported seeing an injured deer near the Clinton Power Station.  Further information was gathered through citizen tips to the DeWitt County and Clinton Crime Stoppers.  The Illinois State Police Forensic Science Unit, DeWitt County Sheriff’s Department, and the Clinton Police Department have also assisted in the investigation.

Charges involving Chevy Miller include:
7 counts of animal torture (Class A misdemeanor)
7 counts of animal harassment by motor vehicle (Class A misdemeanor)
7 counts hunting between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise (Class A misdemeanor)
7 counts hunting with aid of a motor vehicle (Class A misdemeanor)
7 counts of hunting by aid of lights attached to motor vehicle (Class A misdemeanor)
7 counts of hunting without permission (Class B misdemeanor)
7 counts of unlawful taking of deer (Class B misdemeanor)
1 counts of criminal trespass to real property (Class B misdemeanor)

Class A misdemeanors are punishable by six months to one year in jail and up to $2,500 in fines, while Class B misdemeanors are punishable by one to six months in jail and up to $1,500 in fines.

Miller is the second individual charged in the case.  The investigation continues and other charges
are possible.