Hunter's Choice Permit Applications Available

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Deer hunters can now apply for a Hunter’s Choice Permit in select deer management units for the 2004 deer gun season. Bonus antlerless permits will not be offered through the Hunter’s Choice application process this year, but will be available over counter beginning August 21.

Hunter’s choice permits allow the holder of an unused regular gun deer license carcass tag the opportunity to harvest one deer of any sex or age during the gun or muzzleloader season. It is not an extra deer tag. A Hunter’s Choice Permits may only be used in the unit for which it is issued. Hunters should not apply for a Hunter’s Choice Permit in any Zone T, Earn-a-Buck or chronic wasting disease (CWD) deer management unit (see below).

Hunters should refer to the new 2004 Wisconsin Hunter’s Choice Information brochure (Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® is needed to view and print this portable document format (PDF) file. To download Adobe Acrobat for free, please see the DNR Download Page.) that includes a map and list of the units that are open for Hunter’s Choice Permits this year, as well as other valuable information and instructions on applying. This brochure is also available at all license sales locations throughout the state. The deadline to apply for Hunter’s Choice Permits is July 20.

A $3 application fee is required in order to apply for a Hunter’s Choice Permit, Conservation Patron License holders are exempt from the $3 fee.

“The easiest and most convenient way to apply for Hunter’s Choice Permits is online through the DNR Web site,” said Brad Koele, assistant deer ecologist with the DNR Bureau of Wildlife Management. “The DNR Online Licensing Center on the Web site offers customers the ability to submit their application choices and immediately receive a printable confirmation that the application was received. Customers can also pay the $3 application fee through the Web site.”

For those customers who prefer, completed paper applications can be submitted through the mail. These application forms are available at all hunting license sales locations throughout the state.