Hawai'i DLNR Announces Feral Goat Hunt for Unit A , Kaua'i
The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR), Division of Forestry and Wildlife announces the opportunity for interested individuals to participate in the control of feral goats in an area known as Hunting Unit A in west Kaua‘i. The goat control will be administered during days specified below in January, 2011.
Permits are now being issued on a first-come, first-served basis in the Lihu'e DOFAW office at 3060 'Eiwa St. Rm. 306, Lihu'e, HI 96766 from 8:00 am to 4:00 p.m. Permits are free of charge and the limit will be 2 goats of either sex per permit. Only one (1) permit will be issued at a time. Up to one hundred fifty (150) permits will be issued per two (2) day slot.
Those interested must present a 2011 Hawai‘i Hunting license in order to be issued a permit. Another person may pick up the permit for you, but must present your current valid hunting license to do so.
The following specific conditions and restrictions will be in effort:
- Control dates (two day slots) will be: January 6-7, 13-14, 22-23 and 29-30.
- Due to safety concerns, the animal control action is being limited to only the use of muzzleload equipment.
- Participants may obtain another permit if available after completing a control date.
- Hunters may go as a group, but their permits must be issued on the same 2 day slot.
- Hunting of feral pigs is CLOSED is closed in Unit A in January.
- The use of dogs will not be permitted The use of pack horses and mules will be permitted.
- Field dressing and boning will be permitted. However, the unskinned tail must be left on.
Participants are allowed limited vehicle access to Unit A through the corn fields, using the "water tank valley" access road or the Polihale road junction below Mana Ridge. Participants are advised to keep their firearms cased and unloaded while driving through the corn fields.
Participants must sign-in at the Koke'e, Mana Tunnels, Corn Field or Polihale Hunter Check Stations.
All provisions of Chapter 123, "Rules Regulating Game Mammal Hunting" shall apply to the feral goat control effort, including blaze orange garment and legal hunting boundary(s).
Hunting Unit A consists of that portion of Pu‘u Ka Pele Forest Reserve lying west of the three-thousand foot Contour Road in Pu‘u Ka Pele Forest Reserve between Kauhao Ridge Road and Papa'alai Ridge Road, and west of the Kokee Ditch between Papa'alai Ridge Road and the Hawaiian Homestead Boundary intersection at Kapue Valley, and south of Kauhao Stream, including Kekaha Game Management Area.
For more information, please call the Lihu‘e Division of Forestry and Wildlife at 274-3433.