Georgia Hunters for the Hungry Program
For the past 15 years, hunters across the state have been bringing meat to the tables of those in need through the Georgia Hunters for the Hungry program. This successful program celebrated serving its one-millionth meal in 2007 and provides numerous opportunities for hunters to share their harvest with those in need. This year, hunters can donate deer at ten participating processors beginning September 13 and continuing through January 15.
"The Georgia Hunters for the Hungry program is one opportunity for hunters to demonstrate their generosity by sharing their harvest with those in need," says John Bowers, Wildlife Resources Division Assistant Chief of Game Management. "The Division is proud to be a cooperator in this public-private partnership and to work with the many partners who make it possible each year."
Wildlife Resources, along with the Georgia Department of Corrections, Georgia Department of Agriculture, Georgia Wildlife Federation and the Georgia State Association of Food Banks sponsor the program. Thanks to these partners, the efforts of Georgia hunters and participating meat processors, last year nearly 29,000 pounds of venison were collected, processed and distributed to food banks across the state. This meat provided more than 143,000 meals for needy Georgians.
Hunters interested in participating in GHFTH should bring field-dressed deer to any of the drop-off locations listed below. All hunters who donate a deer during this collection period will be entered into a drawing for a deer rifle, sponsored by the Georgia Wildlife Federation.
The following ten processor locations will accept deer from Sept. 13, 2008 – Jan. 15, 2009 during business hours:
- · Axson – Lee's Deer & Meat Processing (912) 422-3079
- · Baldwin – JJ's Deer Processing (706) 776-2819
- · Canton – Mitch's Archery & Deer Cooler (770) 479-7004
- · Columbus – Daffin's Meat Processing (706) 322-8848
- · Dawson – Mossey Creek Outdoors (229) 995-4109
- · Irwinton – Starley's Deer Processing (478) 946-8976
- · Jefferson – Sealy's Deer Cooler (706) 335-9304
- · Sparta – Garner's Grinder (706) 444-9228
- · Tifton – Safety-Rite Foods (229) 382-1242
- · Vidalia – Stewart's Quality Meats, Inc. (912) 537-9888
The following location will be available between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Nov. 13-15:
· Cedar Creek Wildlife Management Area – From Monticello, GA 212 East 12 miles to check station entrance on right
The following five locations will be available between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. Nov. 15-16:
- · Albany – Solo Archery and Guns, 1741 Philema Rd.
- · Statesboro – Lamar Q. Ball Jr. Raptor Center, Georgia Southern University
- · Newnan – Royal Baptist Church, Hwy. 34 Bypass N to Royal Mayo Rd.
- · Rockmart – Lamar's Sports Center, 392 Atlanta Hwy.
- · Rome – Lavender Mountain Hardware, 4065 Martha Berry Hwy., NW
Since the program's inception in 1993, more than 225,000 pounds of venison have been donated.
For more information on donating food to those in need during other times of the year, call the Atlanta Community Food Bank at (404) 892-FEED. For more information on the GHFTH program, visit www.gohuntgeorgia.com , www.gwf.org ,contact a WRD Game Management office or call (770) 761-3045.