Georgia Hunters for the Hungry Collection Continues
The Georgia Hunters for the Hungry (GHFTH) is a program through which harvested deer become nutritious venison to benefit those who need it the most. Hunters donated more than 733 deer during the 2005 collection and more than 170,000 pounds of venison has been donated since the program began in 1993, according to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division (WRD). Hunters can donate deer in one of two ways – at one of seven (7) weekend collection sites that will be available on Nov. 25-26, 2006 and from Sept. 9, 2006 – Jan. 1, 2007 at seven (7) additional collection sites hosted by deer processors.
"The Georgia Hunters for the Hungry program is an opportunity to show the positive aspects of hunting – by providing a very nutritious, low-fat meal for those who need it," says WRD Director Dan Forster. "Our agency is very proud to be a part of this program and to work with the many partners who make it possible each year."
Hunters interested in participating in GHFTH should bring field-dressed deer to any of the drop-off locations (see below). All hunters who donate a deer during this collection period will be entered into a drawing for a deer rifle, sponsored by the Georgia Wildlife Federation.
The following seven locations will accept deer from Sept. 9, 2006 – Jan. 1, 2007 during business hours:
- Hoboken – Big Creek Sausage Co., Inc., Rt. 1, Box 146-A, (912) 458-2120
- Jefferson – Sealey's Deer Cooler, 5675 South Apple Valley Road, (706) 335-9304
- Sparta – Garner's Grinder, Rt. 3, Box 464-2, (706) 444-9228
- Columbus – Daffin's Meat Processing, 4100 ½ River Bend Road, (706) 322-8848
- Irwinton – Starley's Deer Processing, 190 George Hatcher Road, (478) 946-8976
- Vidalia – Stewart's Quality Meats, 204 Washington Street, (912) 537-9888
- Tifton – Safety-Rite Foods, 147 Ridge Avenue South, (229) 382-1242
GHFTH Sponsors are: Georgia DNR/Wildlife Resources Division, Georgia Wildlife Federation, Georgia Department of Corrections, Georgia Department of Agriculture, Georgia's Outdoor Adventures and the Georgia State Association of Food Banks.
For more information on donating game to those in need during other times of the year, call the Atlanta Community Food Bank at (404) 892-FEED. For more information on the GHFTH program, visit www.gohuntgeorgia.com , contact a WRD Game Management Office or call (770) 761-3044.