Florida FWC Offers Alligator Hunting Classes
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is offering alligator hunters no-cost, three-hour classes to help them prepare for the August 15 - November 1 statewide alligator harvest. Reservations are not required to attend a class.
Attendance is not mandatory for licensed hunters, but the FWC recommends that participants attend, especially if they have not previously hunted for alligators. Class topics include preparing for the hunt, hunting techniques and safety, harvesting and processing, caring for your alligator hide and alligator hunting rules and regulations. Also, people who do not have an alligator harvest permit can attend if they want to learn what hunting alligators is all about.
Classes will be offered at the following locations:
- * July 29 (Wednesday), 6-9 p.m., Gainesville, Paramount Plaza Hotel and Suites, 2900 S.W. 13th St. For directions, call 352-377-4000 or visit www.paramountplaza.com.
- * Aug. 1 (Saturday), 1-4 p.m., Dania Beach, IGFA Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum, 300 Gulf Stream Way. For directions, call 954-922-4212 or visit www.igfa.org.
- * Aug. 2 (Sunday), 2-5 p.m., Okeechobee, Okeechobee County Civic Center, 1750 U.S. Hwy 98 North. For directions call 863-462-5195.
- * Aug. 5 (Wednesday), 6-9 p.m., Tallahassee, Bryant Bldg., 2nd floor auditorium, 620 S. Meridian St. For directions, call 850-488-3831.
- * Aug. 8 (Saturday), 1-4 p.m., Tampa, Florida State Fairgrounds, 4800 U.S. Hwy. 301 N.; use the Orient Road entrance. For directions, call 800-345-FAIR (3247) or visit www.floridastatefair.com.
- * Aug. 9 (Sunday), 2-5 p.m., DeLand, Wayne G. Sanborn Activities Center, 751 S. Alabama Ave. For directions call 850-488-3831.
All hunt permits have been sold for this year; however, alligator trapping "agent" permits are available for $52. Agent permits enable permit holders to assist a licensed trapper in taking alligators.
For more information on these exciting alligator hunts, visit MyFWC.com/gators and click "Statewide Hunts."