California DFG Schedules 12 Survival Clinics
The Department of Fish and Game (DFG) has scheduled 12 statewide clinics in 2008 to educate hunters on advanced hunting and wilderness survival skills. The clinics are designed to take the hunter or outdoors person a step beyond basic hunting and wilderness skills.
"These clinics were developed by the DFG Advanced Hunter Education Program to provide the tools for a successful hunt and safe trek in the wilderness," said Susan Herrgesell, DFG Advanced Hunter Education Coordinator. "The goal of these courses is to develop ethical, conservation-minded, successful hunters through education."
Clinics include sessions on hunting turkey, upland game, waterfowl, and big game. Topics covered in each of the clinics include the type of firearm, ammunition, importance of sighting in the firearm, gauging distance, scouting, tracking, field dressing, shoot-don't shoot scenarios, hunter ethics, landowner-hunter relationships, conservation, and safety.
The date, description, location and cost of each clinic are listed as follows:
- * Jan. 19-20, Land Navigation offered at Tejon Ranch in southern Kern County. The cost is $60.
- * Feb. 9-10, Wilderness Survival offered at Tejon Ranch in southern Kern County. $60.
- * March 1, Bear Hunting Clinic offered in the Redding area. $40.
- * April 26, Wild Pig Hunting Clinic offered at Fort Hunter Liggett in Monterey County. $40.
- * May 17-18, Big Game Hunting Clinic offered at Wilderness Unlimited Property in Williams. $60.
- * June 7, Wild Pig Hunting Clinic offered at Valley of the Moon Gun Club in Sonoma. $40.
- * June 21-22, Land Navigation and Wilderness Survival offered at Shasta-Trinity National Forest Bushytail Campgrounds. The cost is $60 and accommodations are camping.
- * Aug. 2, Wild Pig Hunting Clinic offered at Tejon Ranch in southern Kern County. $40.
- * Sept. 13, Upland Game Hunting Clinic offered at Wilderness Unlimited Property in Williams. $40.
- * Sept. 20, Waterfowl Hunting Clinic offered at Wilderness Unlimited Property in William. $40.
- * Sept. 20, Upland Game Hunting Clinic offered at High Desert Hunt Club near Gorman. $40.
- * Sept. 27, Waterfowl Hunting Clinic offered at San Jacinto Wildlife Area in Riverside County. $40.
Registrations are now being accepted for all clinics. To find out more information about the clinics, please refer to the Advanced Hunter Education website at www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/advanced.