Bowhunting Education Courses
South Dakota's big game archers who need certification should note that dates for National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) courses are becoming available.
All first-time bowhunters, all bowhunters under the age of 16 and all archery elk applicants must complete a National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) sanctioned Bowhunter Education Course before applying for any of South Dakota's archery big game licenses.
"This year's archery deadlines/seasons will come about quickly, so now is as good a time as any for hunters to schedule an NBEF course," said Hunter Safety Program Specialist Bill Shattuck. "To help hunters, a list of some of the upcoming courses is listed on the Game, Fish and Parks Web site at www.state.sd.us/gfp/hunting/info/NBEF.htm. More classes will be added to the list as they become available."
Courses may not be available in every community, so hunters need to plan ahead to locate a convenient course. The first deadline to note is archery elk on May 17. Applications must be postmarked no later than that date.
Following is the current course listing. Call the listed number for further details.
- Feb. 16, Hill City High School, Harry Globstad, 347-0027
- Feb. 23, Sioux Falls Outdoor Campus, Don Nankivel, 498-5934
- Feb. 23, Watertown, Skip Meisenheimer, 886-5891
- March 9, Mitchell, K & B Archery, 996-9810
- March 23, Brookings, Dale Henderschiedt, 697-6267
- March 30, Newell, Todd Komes, 456-2549
- April 13, Sioux Falls Outdoor Campus, Don Nankivel, 498-5934