Big Game Hunting Rule Clarifications
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has made several corrections and clarifications to errors in the recently released 2003 Big Game Hunting Seasons and Rules pamphlet.
B-tags are for antlerless deer and are applied for like any other special permit. Permit applications can be purchased through hunting and fishing license dealerships, via the toll-free license sales phone number (1-866-246-9453), or via the Internet at fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov.
Hunters from each of the three weapon groups can apply for a B-tag, and it can only be used during the early part of the general season for that GMU, consistent with the hunter's weapon choice.
For example, if a hunter designates modern firearm for the first, over-the-counter deer tag, the corresponding B-tag would be valid for the early season modern firearm dates for that GMU. Hunters are not required to use the general season tag before using the B-tag.
Once selected, successful permit holders can purchase their B-tag from any license vendor, but it must be purchased by Aug. 18. The "B-tag" is $20 for resident hunters, $10 for youth hunters and $200 for non-residents, plus the normal dealer and transaction fees.
- As in recent years, Game Management Units 329 and 371 remain permit-only units for deer. Only those hunters who draw a special permit for GMU 329 or 371 will be allowed to hunt deer in those units.
- GMUs 157, 490, 522 are closed to deer hunting.
- On Page 38, early muzzleloader elk rules for GMUs 501, 652, 663, 667 should read 3 pt. minimum or antlerless.
- On Page 46, the days of the week in the hunting hours table are out of sequence with the calendar dates. Hunters should follow the calendar dates (Sept. 1, etc.) rather than the days of the week.
- The muzzleloader deer permits listed on page 32 are for youth hunters only.
- Hunters should disregard the muzzleloader deer permit hunt 1103 in GMU 130 because this unit has a general season during the same timeframe when muzzleloader hunting is already allowed
WDFW will provide additional updates and corrections as needed. Corrections clarifications and frequently asked questions are also on the big game hunting seasons and regulations portions of the WDFW website, at www.wa.gov/wdfw/wlm/game/hunter/hunter.htm on the Internet.