Big Game Draw

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

By April 30, many big game hunters in Utah will be excited after learning they drew a 2002 Utah big game permit in the state's annual big game draw.

Others will be disappointed because they didn't draw. If they want a general buck deer permit, though, their second chance to obtain one may just be starting.

Draw Results

Everyone who applied for a 2002 Utah big game permit should receive a letter in the mail by April 30, letting them know if they drew a permit.

Beginning at 8 a.m. April 30, hunters who don't receive a letter in the mail can learn whether they drew by logging on the Internet at or by calling the Utah Wildlife Administrative Services office at 1-800-221-0659.

Results of the limited entry, once-in-a-lifetime and Cooperative Wildlife Management Unit permit draw also will be posted at Division of Wildlife Resources offices in Ogden, Salt Lake City, Springville, Vernal, Price and Cedar City; the Lee Kay Center for Hunter Education in Salt Lake City; and the Cache Valley Hunter Education Center in Logan.

Hard copy results of the general buck deer and ML300 elk draw won't be posted. "There will probably be more than 50,000 names on this list," says Judi Tutorow, wildlife licensing coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources. "To keep printing costs down, we've decided not to post a hard copy list. Hunters can still view the list, though, by going to our Internet site."

Permits Not Taken In The Draw

In addition to their draw results letter, applicants also will receive a list of permits not taken in the draw. This list will also be available on the Division's Internet Web site and at its six offices.

"All of the limited entry, once-in-a-lifetime, ML300 elk and CWMU permits will probably be taken in the draw, but some general buck deer permits may still be available," Tutorow said. "Hunters who haven't obtained a permit can apply for one of these beginning April 30."

Hunters who have an American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa credit card can apply online at the Division's Web site. Hunters who don't have a credit card can apply by mailing an application. Applications can be printed off the Web site or obtained from hunting and fishing license agents, or Division offices and Hunter Education centers.

The same application form used to apply in the initial draw will be used to apply in the draw for the remaining permits.

To be included in the draw for remaining permits, applications must be received no later than 5 p.m., May 20. Results of the second draw will be posted by June 17.

Those with questions may contact the Utah Wildlife Services Administrative office, their nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office or the Division's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.