Ask Idaho Fish and Game: Turkey Tag Tango

Send by email Printer-friendly version Share this

Q. I drew on a controlled hunt for the 2012 spring turkey hunt in Unit 54, but it doesn't open till after May 1. I also want to hunt turkey in Unit 8A before the controlled hunt opens. Is it possible to get my controlled hunt tag, a general tag, and also an extra tag for the spring hunt?

A. Yes, sort of. A hunter may buy two turkey tags, one general and one extra tag, for the spring turkey season before May 26. A hunter who is drawn in a controlled hunt may use the general tag for the controlled hunt if he or she also buys a controlled hunt permit. The hunter cannot use the extra tag with a controlled hunt permit. But you could use the extra tag for the general season hunt in Unit 8A, and use the general season tag for the controlled hunt in Unit 54.